Sniper/target rifle choise - semi or bolt?

Ossi

I am planning to buy a .308 sniper/target rifle. I already own an accurate .223 semiauto (Sig SG-550, shoots 1 MOA) so I do not need a short-range gun but one that can hit accurately beyond the reach of .223.

I do not live in the USA, but in Finland, and we do not have gun bans (but need permits for every gun except airguns). I can quite easily find mil-spec FN FAL, HK G3 and M14, but have not seen any sniper models, just ordinay issue guns. Of those FAL is possibly the less accurate. G3 would probably be difficult and expensive to accurize (PSG-1 components cost a fortune), but accurizing M14 seems to be common in the USA and I could mail order parts from there.

I currently know a Winchester-made (made 1961) plastic/fiberglass-stocked US G.I. M14 I can purchase, but I am wondering how accurate it can be made, and how much money I have to put on accurizing it. The guy who owns it claims that gun (not modified) shoots little over 1 MOA. Starting from a mil-spec M14, what must/should be changed, what modified? How accurate does it get, is half MOA (consistently) possible?

A local gunsmith suggested building a semiauto sniper from a roller-locked HK 770 hunting model. He said roller-locking gives better accuracy potential than gas operation since barrel harmonics are not disturbed by gasport. Any comments?

What do you think, can I get a good sniper rifle from a M14, or by modifying a HK 770? Or should I just take the easy way and opt for a bolt action for ranges too long for my .223? I know guys who have bolt guns capable of quarter MOA, and that's probably impossible for a semiauto.

Ossi (from Finland)

On the M14 as a sniper rifle, it may be made to consistently deliver sub-moa. But over the long run (over 1k rounds), it may need rebuilding. More on this later.

There are two ways to go with the M14: one is to maintain its original configuration with all its match modifications. The second is to go all match and discard any similarities with the M14. We're talking new stock, no flashhider, heavier bull barrel, match front sight (bubble level, globe?, hood) in addition to the other modifications which may remain unseen.

The other way is to keep its M14 configuration. A new match barrel is mounted, gas cylinder unitized, gas piston replaced, trigger/hammer stone (or milled and then stoned), National Match Rear Sight fitted along with narrower front sight blade, recoil lugs (mininum one, max 3) welded to receiver, glass bedding on a fibreglass stock, welded up front sling swivel base and reamed out flash suppressor.

Despite the method chosen, both are high maintenance and require inspection and if shot extensively, perhaps rebedding annually.

For a precision sharpshooter/sniper rifle, it's easier to stay with a bolt gun. Fewer moving parts to disturb the harmonics of the rifle, service, maintain or inspect. A semi-auto has its place and is ideal for the spotter.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

If it were me I would want a super accurate bolt but if you want a super accurate semi then buy a Knight Semi SR25 sniper. It is guaranteed ¾ moa but they generally shoot ½. You can get nearly as much in a match m14 and not have a guarantee. For what you will have in either we can furnish you a bolt gun that will shoot under ½ moa. Take a look at www.mcmfamily.com and see if there is anything you like.

For a semi, the Knight is superior to the M14 (fewer moving parts thanks to a different gas system) and is currently in the inventory of the U.S. Military. It'd be my choice of semi too. The one gripe I've got about the Knight SR25 is $100 per magazine. OUCH! I'd get one of Gale's bolt operated 50 first. Reach out reach out and touch someone (old MA-Bell telephone company jingle).

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

I finally made up my mind and ordered a .308 straigt-pull repeater. Should be a little faster than a turn-bolt, but with the same top accuracy as the bolt actions have. I decided not to take the risk of buying a surplus semiauto and seeing what becomes of it after a lot of gunsmithing (and money).

Those McMillans look very good (as well as Stoner semiautos), but I get a quality gun for a much lover total price (had to pay customs fees etc. if ordering from the USA), and I choose a gun that is handmade here in Finland. For someone living in the USA the price relationship could be totally different.

The gun I ordered looks like this http://www.hjorth.fi/Lynx/XUK_lynxmodels.htm#LYNX 94 TARGET except mine will come with a ventilated pad and stock stained black.

Ossi

Looks like you're getting a very nice weapon! Rear lugs, detachable magazine, a great trigger from the factory (no USA liability laws :)) Might we assume that it is also bedded and free floating? A true left hand straight pull would really be different. Is this action based on the Schmidt Rubin? I'm not that familiar with the SR but I recall that it too was a straight pull.

I know Lynx has a free floated barrel, but I have not asked how it is bedded. It was tested in a local gun magazine some years ago, and that test showed it to be a consistent sub-MOA shooter. I have tried the trigger of someone else's gun (but not been able to shoot in the range), and it was like a dream.

The action is designed (and manufactured) by Mr Torsti Laaksonen (64) who is known to be one of the top gunsmiths in my country. I don't know how much it resembles Schmidt-Rubin, but at least the feel of the trigger and very fast locktime are "modern", and superior to those customized military target sporters I have seen.

They also make it with totally left-handed action. If you are interested and can import one to the USA, or find a gun dealer who can import, they surely can make you one, and export from Finland to the USA is no problem, Sako is doing it all the time.

Also here the manufacturer has legal responsibility of the safety of his products. The product safety law is a close copy of the US law, but not applied in the same way as in the USA, so we are allowed to buy any weight of triggers. If a shooter mocks up with his gun it is his responsibitity here, not the manufacturers. If something happens because the gun is defect, that is the responsibility of the manufacturer also here.

Ossi (from Finland)

Back