"sniper" stevens 200

Ryanfromcanada

before the flames start i know its not a sniper rifle. im considering one just to have as a longish range target rifle + CXP3 game rifle. so my question is what kinda accuracy could i expect out of her. Also i hear there kinda heavy kickers how bad would it be in 30-06

You can expect good accuracy until the barrel heats up. Changing barrels is simple.

The action is just as good as any other Savage action out there, the trigger is useable but not top notch.

Jimro

First off, good luck w/ your new hobby I guess. A 30/06 is a fairly heavy kicker depending a lot on the rifles' construction and stock configuration. That being said there are a number of things that can be done to mitigate its' effects like recoil pads, etc.
As far as the Stevens goes, one thing seems to be a constant. The rifle will have the ability to shoot better than you, at least at first. One direct advantage that many rifles have is an adjustable trigger. If the Stevens doesn't have this then look real hard at a Savage instead, a little more money but the trigger is worth it. I personally like a little higher quality(debatable by many Savage fans) rifle in the Tikka. And yes I have both. At any rate, the 30/06 round will serve you well.
elkman06

Check out snipercentral.com. They did a build on one and it turned out pretty nice. Changed the stock, trigger and barrel. Pretty cheap too. You can also do a trigger job on one pretty easy. I had one in .308 and have one in .25-06. I don't shoot them much but the triggers are set at 3lb's and feel pretty good.

I don't think anyone is going to flame you. The stevens 200 is a savage 110 pre accutrigger model with kind of unappealing cosmetics and a trigger that is not that great. However and a big however, they are extremely accurate, have switch barrel capability, and you will have tons of options for modification, like triggers, stocks, etc. And who cares if it isn't "pretty" in it's stock form. Still the best bang for buck out there in a bolt action rifle. You won't go wrong with this choice. The 30-06 in that platform is not a shoulder bruiser but it lets you know your'e alive. I have one (a savage 110).

The Stevens is a great starting spot for a budget long range project. They don't have the accutrigger like the Savage but with the money saved you can get a GREAT aftermarket and still be in the same ball park. Barrels are good and the gun is accurate right out of the box. Stocks are flimsy is the main issue I have but the stocks don't NEED replaced. Depends on how serious you are going to get. Dollar for dollar it's great.

As for caliber their are so many 800-1000 yard calibers that are better than the 30-06 it's not even funny. Balistically the 7mm's have it all over the 30 cals. Think .260 Rem, .270 and 7mm-08.

well the reason im opting for the 06 is that the rifles other purpose will likley be as a bigger game hunting rifle like moose and bear but i might decide to shoot the 270 cause when i fired one in a remington 770 i felt minimall recoil
my reasoning for this 200 is that well im a student so moneys tight as well as if i bought a remington 700 used for like 600 im still pouring another 300 for the scope + bipod

In that price range look at the new Marlin bolt rifle. In my opinion it is a better rifle for the same money. They have been getting great accuracy reviews and I like the stock design and trigger better than the Stevens.

I would also consider the new Marlin,& specifically the XS7 in .308.It appears to be a better gun overall than the decent Stevens 200 .If you have a Gander Mountain nearby you should be able to compare them side by side.They cost the same & the Marlin trigger gets great reviews.

Back