sneakin' up on turkeys...

rwfisher

Inactive
It happened again. I've been trying to turkey hunt with a rifle (it's legal where I hunt); I've always thought it would be great to set up in open woods and pick off a single bird from 100+ yards. First step is to find a location to set up where the birds will have a high probability of moving through...in this case, it's a large stretch of oak bearing plenty of acorns.

So what happens? I'm in the woods, scouting out a good spot to hunker down and run into a flock. They scatter, and I've never seen such good use of cover. I could have taken a snap shot, but that's not what I'm after. I try to huff around the hill in the direction they were moving and start calling, but no good.

This isn't the first time I've managed to sneak up on a flock....I guess my woodcraft has the "walk quietly and slowly" part down...now if only I could master the "hear what's in the dip ahead" part...

Any good "found 'em now what?" stories out there?

-R

That pea-sized brain must work at 1000% efficiency...

I've mostly seen turkeys when sitting and watching for Bambi. Rarely ever walked up and saw a gobbler that stood around long enough for me to get a shot.

Art

Wasn't hunting them, but found one anyway. I was riding trail, when we chanced upon one, apparently snoozing, in the middle of the trail. He didn't see us, and my horse didn't see him until he almost stepped on him. The turkey went up, my horse went north, and I went south :eek: :D .

They're really smart birds. It seems like it only takes once for them to learn, and then you have to adjust your strategy. It's said that Thomas Edison nominated the wild turkey for the national bird :rolleyes: . But then, when I look at Washington today... maybe that wasn't such a bad idea :p . Now excuse me while I go take another shot at(of) Wild Turkey of a different kind ;) .

'round des parts itz con sidered unsporten to use a riffle.

#4 heavy iz the way to go round here from less than 20 yards.

Not that I have a vested interest in your method. Don't bother me nun.

Just a little friendly FYI.

Shot a doe yesterday morning and had just finished field dressing on the tailgate of my truck and I heard some turkeys at the end of a field some 500 yards away. Next thing I know I hear them 100 yards away. I chambered a 130 gr nosler ballistic tip i my 270, and put a hole in a hens neck at about 75 yards. Sometimes you don't have to be that sneaky I guess.

I was fishing on the Apache reservation about a year ago and had a whole gaggle of them run past our camp site. I stalked up on them within about 50 feet. I wish I had a permit to take one...

Oh, well, the fishing was good.

When hunting turkeys in the fall you want to find a flock and then scatter them. The more directions they go in, the better. This flock will then want to regroup, particularly if there are young birds in it. Move in the direction the largest group of birds went, then sit and wait 20 or 30 minutes. The flock should start calling like crazy and if you know how to call, so should you. The birds that you have scattered should then start to regroup, if you have positioned yourself correctly you should get some action. This will not work if all the birds flush in the same direction. I use this technique in the fall and get a bird almost every year using a shotgun. With your extended reach, with a rifle, you should get some shooting. Be aware that you will be sighting in on a small moving target. This technique works, the reason I do well is part woodscraft and a bigger part having a lot of turkeys where I hunt. The head shot, though nice, is tough to pull off, shoot for their hips if broadside or the base of their neck when facing you. Good luck, I already got mine this fall.

Meddac19 +1----good advice. I also use hen decoys in the fall and have had good luck...love Rem#4's..roast turkey, bisquits and gravy on time every time.

I can usually spot them during the following conditions.

1- They are not in season
2- I don't have a gun
3- Both of the above conditions I can usually hit them with a rock.

Tried a million times it just dont work either get invisable powder or some really good cammo or sit back at 300 yrds and pick them bastards off I hate turkeys they all need to die

'round des parts itz con sidered unsporten to use a riffle.

#4 heavy iz the way to go round here from less than 20 yards.

Not that I have a vested interest in your method. Don't bother me nun.

Just a little friendly FYI.

Even if it's a head shot with an open sighted Win 94 in 38-55 at 70 yards?:D

I don't see no problem with that neck or head shot. I certainly takes skill I reckon.

I need to brush up on legal means. I usually feel that people should have cart blanch on their own land (or with the owners permission.) However, I tend to still think it is unsport'n. More like harvesting than hunting. JMO. I'd never ask someone to behave in a certain way, and I could easily see myself taking that shot if hungry. I just wouldn't call it turkey hunting.

I'm pretty sure Turkeys can read

Every time I have gone this season I see them on a ranch with no hunting signs plastered all over the place. One week left here in California so I still have a chance.

they read calendars too

Texas turkeys are brilliant. They know when season is drawing near. In February and March you will drive down the rural roads and you could harvest the bloody things with a butterfly net there are so many of them strolling along the roads.

First day of season: turkeys? what turkeys? there are no turkeys in Texas. They morph into gophers, beam up to the mother ship, whatever. The weekend AFTER season? Strolling up and down the roads again. :mad:

I'm waiting for one of them to just give me a raspberry as I drive by one of these years.

Springmom, stuck with domestic turkey :barf: every year

they read calendars too
Tee hee.

Go west, young woman. Sounds like you're hunting the smarter Easterns. The Rios are a tad easier to find & hunt during the season, up here in OK, in my experience, although I've gotten both kinds by calling well.

Back