Snap caps

leadcounsel

Looking to get affordable snap caps or safe equivalent.

A quick look online shows snap caps to be several dollars each, or like $5-$10 for a 2 or 5 pack of a single caliber! It's a molded piece of plastic...

At these prices it would cost me $100 to buy all the common calibers...

Seems that a grab bag of the most common 10 calibers should be available for $20...

What is a suitable alternative? I've read that some people use pencil erasers or other home-made alternatives...

I look at it like this:

The price of snap caps is a lot less than the cost of replacing broken firing pins. I learned this the hard way. ;)

Seems like if one were to set any value to their time, ready made snap-caps would be cheaper and easier. That said, I have used drywall screw anchors for .22 L.R. (seems like it was the yellow ones but not positive on the size). Any others I have are store bought, but I'll keep watching this for any new ideas as they do seem overpriced.

highly recommend tipton snapcaps

tried many, settled on this one.

here's a link to 9mm:

http://www.amazon.com/Tipton-Snap-C...id=1396879499&sr=8-1&keywords=tipton+snapcaps

they aren't cheap, but they (a) don't fall apart with repeated practice; (b) they don't dirty up the action with paint chips and aluminum shavings - unlike many other brands; (c) have strong spring allowing primer piece to depress - helping protect your firing pin; (d) the bullet doesn't move - unlike the real cartridges with removed primer and powder.

once again - HIGHLY recommend these for anyone serious about their dryfire practice

Last edited:
If you reload you can make your own. I use leather in the primer hole for the firing pin to beat on. Old piece of leather and a hole puncher. I have also drilled out the primer hole tapped it and used plastic/nylon bolts screwed in and trimmed flush. Seat a bullet and wha-la you have a snap cap:D

I like the A-Zoom aluminum ones. When I cycle the action, it better emulates a real cartridge, at least weight-wise IMO.

But as an alternative, what about just using once-fired rounds?

I love my A-Zoom snap caps, the paint has chipped off around the rim, but not a big deal, it cleaned right out. However, I think the better thing to do, is just use a spent cartridge, neck size it (with out decapping) then press a polymer tip bullet into it. I have one for a Ruger m77 I used to have with a long throat, I kept seating bullets differently to find 'that sweet spot'. Once I found it, I kept the empty brass (no powder) with spent primer in it, with a ballistic tip Nosler and used it as a snap cap. Was better than any you can buy! (Use a ballistic tip bullet because it won't deform over repeated cycling!)

I like the A Zoom as well. When I got a new Browning shotgun I picked up a pair of Browning merchandised snap caps for the shotgun. I was less than impressed. They look pretty but they're pretty lightly constructed, at least compared to the A-zoom.

Question about snap caps...

Sorry if this is a thread hijack....

But why can't an empty brass shell casing be used? If it's because the dimpled primer won't provide any resistance, could the primer dimple be filled in with something?

It can be. A lot of people do. I prefer A-Zoom because they're not brass colored- you can know visually in an instant if it's a snapcap or a live round. They're heavier. They have a "bullet" shape for checking the action/feed ramps/etc. and a rubber pad in the primer area.

Last edited:
I've used Tipton, A-Zoom, and homemade.

Homemade- Used a firm crimp on bullets with a canelure.

Primer pockets can be filled with tub and tile caulk- make sure to push some through the flash hole.

But why can't an empty brass shell casing be used? If it's because the dimpled primer won't provide any resistance, could the primer dimple be filled in with something?

Empty cases don't feed and handle exactly like loaded ammo.

The homemade ones I made were to practice reloading with a revolver and speed loaders ..... 12 Tipton Snap caps would have run $25-30 bucks, and the homemade ones had a more realistic profile, while costing 10% of what the snap caps did ....

Back