Snap Cap question...am I wearing them out?

Blarneystone

Based upon some advice I've read here and other places, I bought some snap-caps to prevent me from ruining my new Taurus 605 while dry firing.

I've noticed the snap caps that I bought (Armsford) are developing some small 'pits' where the firing pin connects. I've only dry fired the thing with the snap caps probably 100 times. My question is when, if ever do these spring loaded snap caps wear out? And how can you tell if they are worn out?

Thanks!

I would guess it's time to throw them away when the spring no longer keeps the primer flush with the base of the cap. The indents are normal when a firing pin strikes them as they are made of brass and firing pins are supposed to be harder than brass.

I have some .45ACP caps with big craters in the "primer" and they still work.

Geoff Ross

I bought some snap caps for my Taurus pistols today as well. Mine are made of dark brown metal "bullets/cases"with a stainless colored "primer" in them. I have fired them some and no marks of any kind have developed on the "primers" of the snap caps.

My snap caps are made by "A-Zoom" and I got 6 of them for 20 bucks. Are these snap caps any good?

I got hold of some round nylon. I scrape it to primer size, and cut off pieces to put in the primer pockets of regular cases. Takes impact well, and if it ever looks like failing, I have enough to last a few centuries.

Jim

A-Zoom snap caps

My snap caps are made by "A-Zoom" and I got 6 of them for 20 bucks. Are these snap caps any good?

Yeah! A-Zoom are good. I bought 2 sets (.44 & .357) at Cabela's for about $18/set. They are great. I based my purchase on snap caps tests done by http://www.cruffler.com/accessory-review-february-01.html

I don't regret my purchase. These things look like you can get a lot of mileage out of them so they're probably worth the extra $$

PS5

I get my snap caps free:

Here is how:

take the fired brass and decap it. clean the primer pocket.

take a tube of pure silicon sealant (available in any hardware store) i use white. fill the primer pocket with the sealant.

Let it dry about three days until it is well cured.

For semi autos seat your favorite cheap bullet in the case.

These cushion the firing pin very well and they are easy to fix when they wear out, the ones I use in my S&W 686 have yet to wear out.

YMMV

Dammit...I don't have three days to make a snap cap.....I'm holding it right now witht the hammer back.....I'm going to, I'm going to, CLICK! ....ahhhhhhhh, I'm okay now

Back