Snakeskin Cowboy

AR-10

Eventually I would like to have a revolver collection that includes at least one of every "snake" revolver Colt made. That would include;
  • Python
  • Anaconda
  • Diamond Back
  • King Cobra
  • Cobra
  • Viper
What is a Viper model,anyway? Are there any I have forgotten or am unaware of?

Viper

IIRC, the Colt Viper was the successor to the police positive. A few updates made to it.
My wife used to wonder when Colt would make an "Earthworm" model.

marsh

Colt also made the Boa in a small production run in (I think) 1985. They were blued .357s; that's all I know about 'em.

ar10 - i'm work on trying to collect them too, i kick myself for the ones i passed up when they were still in production.

the viper was produced aloneside the post-70's style police positive (shouded ejector rod, det spl style grips) they were both built on the alloy colt d-frame like the cobra. so a viper is a 4" barreled cobra.

I agree that the Viper was the successor to the 4" cobra and an alloy frame with ejector rod shroud, but though the grips were the same style as the DS of that era, were much longer. Are you sure the Police Positive lookalike of this era didn't have a steel frame? I think they finally dropped the Special ( ie PPS vs PP )designation which had up to that time designated the longer frame and cylinder to distinguish it from earlier models which could only chamber the 38 S&W/38 New Police.

Maybe you're right, but I sure wouldn't have thunk it.

rustys - i guess i wasn't very clear, the police positive had a steel frame whereas the viper was alloy. the viper is related to the pp as the cobra is related to the d/s.

all the d-frame guns went to the longer grip frames before '70

:o i just re-read my first post, i meant to say that the viper and cobra , both "snakes", were built on the alloy frame. the only steel d-frame snake is the diamondback.

Thanks for the imput guys. I know the post title is kinda hokey, but I figured with all the exposure Ted Nugent has been getting hereabouts the song title might stir a memory or two. I had completely forgotten about the Boa, and I appreciate the information regarding the Viper. I saw a Cobra go at auction last fall for a very good price. It was a limited edition nickle finish with rosewood grips. Very sharp! No room in the budget at the time. Still bummed about that one. Anyway, thanks again.

Back