Snake loads in your 1858 ?

Remington kid

Here is south central West Virginia we have allot of timber rattlers, cooperheads and Bear and I spend allot of time in the woods. About 5 years ago I was talking to an older gentleman ( 85 back then) in the barber shop about my 1858 and he asked me if I ever ran any snake loads through it. He has an original Remington that belonged to his dad and went on to tell me that his father always loaded the first two chambers with about 25g. of powder, then a wad and then he used the powder measurer to ad the same amount of #7 birdshot for snakes and another wad on top to hold the shot with a little grease on that .He told me how well it worked on them. He was right!!
Got home and opened a 12 gage shotgun shell with #6 in it and tried that. I shot a coffee can with it at 5 paces and it turned it into a watering can,Lol.
Since then I have killed 5 cooperheads and 2 rattlers with the same load.Now before any snake lovers get on me I don't kill snakes just for the heck of it but if they are to close for comfort they are going down. We have enogh snakes in this state that if anyone wants a few you are welcome to them anytime, the sooner the better. :)

Back