Smoothbore Pistol Shooting

Model12Win

Hi everyone. :)

I will soon by the new owner of a Harper Ferry 1807 percussion pistol, made by Pedersoli:

PH0951.jpg

This is a smoothbore .54 caliber pistol. I have never owned a smoothbore black powder weapon, and the only other black powder gun I have is a Cimarron 1851 Navy which is a most excellent revolver let me assure you.

So, I have some questions for you all out there who either own or shoot/have shot smoothbore black powder pistols. What kind of accuracy can I expect with this gun? What types of targets are best to shoot with these? Can I play around with loads to try and increase accuracy? Are these only for reenactments, is it even worth shooting a smoothbore pistol?

Basically, I am very much interested in Civil War history and black powder shooting. I love the looks of this pistol, but I do want to do more than stare at it sitting pretty on shelf. I want to shoot the cotton pickin' thing!! I just need to know weather or not it will be fun and satisfying to do so.

Also, as an aside, can one shoot buck and ball or other shot loads through these guns with success? Could I even use one as a snake gun for practical purposes? That would be so cool!

If any of you shooters out there could help me, any and all input would be tremendously appreciated. Thanks so much all! :D

Mine is the original Pedersoli flintlock version of the Harpers Ferry. You can expect about "minute of garbage can lid" at 50'.

Don't shoot black powder much anymore, so I am going to peddle it off one of these days. It was fun to shoot, though.

Edit: It's interesting to see that they are selling them in the white now. Mine was bought in the 80s, and the finish was "plum browned," although it looks more like a bronzed finish.

I know a guy that shoots a smooth bore pistol competitively. It's a .433 caliber ball over 40 something grains of Swiss 3F if I remember right. He said it needed the heavy charge to shoot accurately. Said he had tried lighter charges but it didn't work. Said it hammers the dog out of his hand too. But! It's accurate at 25 and 50 YARDS. A smoothbore can be accurate. Play with ball and patch size and don't be afraid to charge heavy.

As you can tell, the original Model 1805 was a flintlock, .54 caliber. That repro is obviously percussion, but I have no idea of the caliber. I will say that original .54 caliber pistols (Model 1836 and Model 1842) do not have excessive recoil, though one does know the gun went off.

On the repros, I have seen some with pretty bad bores, deep gouges and heavy tool marks. If you plan to shoot one, I would check the barrel and have it reamed if necessary to smooth it up. Military pistols did not use patches, though again, I don't know about the repros.

Jim

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Pedersoli Harpers Ferry a rifled 58cal?

You are correct: The flintlock Pedersoli is rifled (or the one I got in the 80s is).

I've had moderate success with .58 cal. Minie balls, but the accuracy is still nothing to write home about. Patched round balls also don't produce world class accuracy, either, but you could still easily hit a man size target at 30-40 yards.

It was still fun to shoot, though.

Guys, this new Pedersoli gun is a smoothbore and in the correct .54 caliber.

They also still offer this gun with a rifled .58 bore in flintlock.

I am more concerned with the smoothbore percussion variant, and what kind of accuracy I can expect.

With a lightly patched round ball and 30gr of 3F I can keep all shots inside four inches at 15 yds. This is with my flint .54 smooth bore dueling pistol. It does have a rear sight. I see no reason why your pistol wouldn't do the same.

Awesome! That sounds pretty decent.

I'd most likely be shooting at milk jugs and melons, things like that, when not trying for groups. I'd also love to experiment with all manner of shot loads, especially buckshot and buck n' ball!! :D

So, would you guys say these are actually worth taking out and shooting?

Interesting. So accuracy is fine at 15-20 yards, you'd say?

I was thinking of buying the Pedersoli Howdah hunter some time down the line, but it's hard to decide between the 2 x 20 gauge with smooth barrel or the rifled 2 x 0.50cal. I was worried if the 20 gauge would be too inaccurate with a slug.

Model12

I would say it is definitely worth shooting but that is an opinion and you know how they are.

In the end, I bet you get to love the pistol. It sure is a pretty thing.

My only single shot experience is with rifled bore and percussion caps. Kentucky pistol, Colonial pistol, Phila Derringer and some nameless freak that was given to me in Guam. So I can't comment on accuracy. At this point you already have the input from the experts so nothing I could say would add anything anyway.

Best of luck with it.

Two comments.....

Ben,

Accuracy on the Derringer was awful. I almost couldn't hit the ground when I was ashore and the water when I was at sea. =o(

Branko,

Good to see another post from you.

Back