Smolts?

MPower

Actually...I just wanted to have the first post here...
but the other week I was looking through some older JAPANESE gun mags (great source of Nagata photos) and came across an article about S&W revolvers mated to Colt Python barrels. Looked awesome, but what are the advantages of this? How many were made and anyone know what they are worth? I would love to read the article, but alas, its in japanese:(

The S&W action is favored by a lot of people and the Python barrel is supposed to be better. So in theory you have the best of two worlds.

I came across a S&W 19 mated to a 6" Python barrel just receintly. It was interesting and I wondered if it shoots well. Excellent trigger job. Owner wanted $350.00. It seemed in good shape. Is this a good deal??

I came across a S&W 19 mated to a 6" Python barrel just receintly. It was interesting and I wondered if it shoots well. Excellent trigger job. Owner wanted $350.00. It seemed in good shape. Is this a good deal??
If it was in good shape and functioned properly, yes, it was a good deal.

These are supposed to be awesome weapons, and a solid Model 19 is worth almost that much alone. The cost of a Python barrel is generally quite high.

I'd love to have one, if only as a conversation piece...

The hybrids were done between '83-86 by Davis Gun Works of Sacramento (& Berkeley, CA). It was a means by which a heavier barrel was mounted onto the S&W or Ruger ("Cougar" as the conversion was known) and cost the owner about $200. When the S&W 586/686 came out, conversion may have been done for some owners, but competitively outpriced by the factory product.

As other have said, people wanted the smooth action of the Smith but the accuracy of the Python barrel. The rifiling of the Python barrel was optimized for use with 148 gr. hollow base wadcutters which made it desirable for PPC type shooters and others interested in accuracy with the 148 HBWC's.

In 1981 I was a Junior in High School and a big Bill Jordan/Skeeter Skelton fan. There was a student teacher/wrestling coach friend of mine named Mike who also was a gun nut like me. That year, Bill Jordan wrote an article in "Guns & Ammo" describing in detail the process for creating a Smolt using a S&W Model 19 and a Python barrel. I showed it to Mike who promptly asked to borrow it. I never saw my magazine again.

Then, about 2 1/2 years later, I ran into Mike at a gun show. He had given up on teaching and was instead wearing the uniform of an Oklahoma City Police Officer and was moonlighting at the gun show. He pulled me over to an out of the way place and out of his holster came the most beautiful revolver I had ever seen! It was a 4 inch, nickel plated Smolt with custom rosewood grips.

I still never got that magazine back though. :D

the advantage of the smith action was the shorter hammer fall (better for combat) and that the actions are easier to "tune" (read cheaper)

the advantage of the python barrel was the extra weight(steadier), choked bore (trued lead bullets), 1 in 14" rifling (optimum stability), and vent rib (just cool looking)

the L-frame had the weight and the higher front post sight allowed for a "neck hold" from the 50-yd line, tho...still not as cool...

out here in sacramento, home of the smolt and couger, i would place the value as the smith plus the 100-150 for the barrel...350 sounds fair

Back