Smoke 'em if you Got 'em

huntinaz

My first attempt at elk summer sausage today. We ground, mixed and packed it last weekend, now it's time for the fun part. I love my smoker...

Bucket of mesquite chunks and other accessories? Check.
IMG_20121222_105010.jpg

Meat in the smoker? Check.
IMG_20121222_105351.jpg

Fire up the smoke box! Check.
IMG_20121222_091914.jpg

Boise State vs Warshington at 1330? Double check. Gonna be a good day fellers.

Man;

Sounds like you've got it goin on huntinaz.

That'll be some fine eatin.

WARNING:

DO NOT DRINK TO MANY COORS AND LET SMOKER GO OUT! :eek:

And we're done. Pretty freakin' good. I may have to more of this next year. I think the pepper jack cheese was a nice touch.

IMG_20121222_210110.jpg

Your a 'dirty dog' huntinaz.

That home rolled summer sausage looks great...and with the pepper jack cheese on some Townhouse crackers with a dab of spicy mustard?

Will make your gums beat your brains out.

So it's 4:30 in the morning and time to go to the fish market for another day of FUN serving the public.............

But, as usual, I slip in a few moments reading the FLF only to see this.

Now it's my usual practice to have coffee and a banana while reading the news and emails before going to work. Maybe a hour later I really ready for REAL food......

But not this morning, thanks to you.

No, today I sitting at the computer looking at your creation and imagining how good it'd be heated in a skillet, slathered in syrup and chased down by a helping of cheese grits.

I mean I feel like Pavlof's Dog here.............

Louann is not going to be happy with you........because I am going to blame it on you that she has to get up and feed me, NOW!

A little pork a good help'en of elk & some high temp cheese. Looks pretty good there huntinaz. How many hours in the smoker did your sausage spend getting tastier? Coors: Silver bullets here._;)

Louann is not going to be happy with you........because I am going to blame it on you that she has to get up and feed me, NOW!

Uh oh, I hope I'm far enough away to catch any wrath:D

How many hours in the smoker did your sausage spend getting tastier?

I smoked for 3 hours at like 125 degrees, then 4 hours between 150-180 degrees. Internal temp was recommended at 158 degrees, these hit 165-170 which seems to have been fine.

The last 2 weekends I made 15lb of plain and 30lb of jajapeno deer summer sausage and 10lb of jerky.
Man, there is nothing better than homemade summer sausage.:D
I smoked it for about 3-4 hours and 4 hours with just heat.

After Christmas I have to make more jerky, summer sausage and I going to try making 15lb of brats. And hopefully more breakfast sausage. My middle daughter still has an elk tag, so I've been making freezer room.

BTW, summer sausage tastes WAY better with home brew from my kegerator tap than Coors from the can. I cant even choke down Coors.:p

Great pictures! I'm getting ready to get into this years deer meat for the first time today. Nothing like preparing your own harvest.

I'm going to my neighbors house up the street to smoke a large pork ham today,,, we don't drink that colorado coolaid, but the Budweiser will be flowing like the Colorado river!!!:D

There are many better beers than Coors, but there are worse. At the particular getting place I was visiting yesterday, quality vs cost ratio was right for the Coors.

I will try and upgrade next time for the beer snobs:p

Back