SMLE .303

AR BLACK

Does anyone know about this rifle? It was featured in this month's American Rifleman. Saw them advertised in SGN for around $60. Thought they look cool and for the price it might be neat to play around with. Any comments?

They are great rifles!! Everyone should have at least 2. The 2A1 models are Indian manufacture and in 308 caliber. Accurate and reliable but not the best site picture. Same goes for the No.1 Mk 3 SMLE in 303 British. The cream of the crop, however are the #4 Mk1, #4 Mk2 and #5 Jungle Carbine models. These are all in 303 British. 10 round detachable box magazine, accommodates stripper clips, close range ghost ring battle sites and click adjustable long range precision volly sites. If you are looking for the true "riflemans rifle" (in a bolt gun) that can do everything well this is the one to have. There are lots of other rifles that will do specialized tasks much better but they don't have the versatility of the Enfield. (with the exception of the M1A or Garand) 303 ammo is still available on the surplus market for a reasonable price and all of the manufacturers make at least one loading (most make multiple loadings) for it. I can't say enough good things about these rifles. The bolt throw is short and fast and they are ultra reliable. A well trained rifleman with an Enfield can put your average semi-auto shooter to shame.
For everything you ever wated to know about these guns go to www.gunandknife.com under the Enfield thread.

The enfield is considered the BEST bolt action military gun ever made. (What can I say, I only own four of them, in different configurations.) If you want a great shooter, go to a gun show and look for an Enfield no 4 mk 2 - this was the last type made, and are generally the most accurate. You shouldn't pay more than $175, and might get it $20 cheaper.
Or get the WW2 type, the no 4 mk 1* - you can get them for $140 - $200 , depending on collectable factors.

HTH!

I agree that both the Indian 2A .308 and the original Rifle No. 1 MkIII and Rifle No. 4 are excellent guns, as is the No. 5 "Jungle Carbine". Unfortunately, most of the "Jungle Carbines" being sold today are cut down rifles. While they are good shooters and fun (as long as you use ear protection), they have little collector value and will never bring the price of the true No.5. At the right price, they are fine, but don't be misled as to the true nature of what you are buying.

Jim

Shooting an SMLE is totally fun. Just thinking of it as an assault rifle of its time makes it that much more fun. I'm not up to 50 rounds a minute yet...

------------------
Join the NRA!!!

The smelly (SMLE) is a pretty nice rifle. I have a No4 MkII that I like a lot. The rimmed .303 cases can be a bit tricky if you're not careful, but can be quick with some practice.

Check the barrel and chamber erosion if you can. No1 barrels can be had for $25, but I have not seen No4 barrels for sale at all. Springfield Sporters has a lot of parts for smelly's.

So who on the net has a web page dealing with the Lee Enfield??? Are there any web sites like Fulton Armorys out there????

Check out www.uidaho.edu/~stratton/en-page.html

Springfield Sporters has used 2 goove barrels for #4s in excellant condition. Those are the only surplus barrels that I have been able to find.

I think my next #4 will have to be one of Navy Arms "Tanker" models. It's certainly not authentic but they sure do look handy!

[This message has been edited by Jaeger (edited June 01, 1999).]

Thanks for all the info. I'll probably order an SMLE this week. They were in SGN for $58, but I'll have to find the number and call.

Great Mate ! Get one or two as soon as possible...but go for barrel gauge and lack of barrel wear...NOT external appearance.*** In Australia we pay $85AUD for a good Lithgow No1 Mk3 **, in my opinion the best because of the open sights.*** If you find an AUSSIE made No5 Jungle Carbine, let me know as they are worth over $5,000 !!

------------------

XXX the Bunny.

My first smelly (SMLE) was the No. 4 Mk1 (T) sniper version with the brass tubed MK32 telescope. Out of its wood box, it shot a 6" group at 100 yadrs and was I disappointed. I could have bought a .222 Kimber (of Oregon) for the same amount of money back then.

Years later, fortune caused my path to cross with a reenactor who also owned one and he told me to try the Greek .303. Well, the group dropped immediately to 2 1/2" at 100 yards. With Remington factory ammo, it was 2 1/4". If I can find that Winchester stuff I bought, I'll try that out next. I like my smelly again and now that I have a couple hundred rounds of Greek .303, the smelly will enjoy be at home on the range.

Stopped by a local FFL after work, I never dealt with this shop before. He charges $35 to order something --- not worth it for a $60 rifle. I will try my regular dealer tomorrow.

What is a fair price for a FFL Dealer to charge to order a gun from out of state?
Thanks, Blackie

Some guys do 10%. I'd think $10-15 bucks would be OK though. Before you all call me a cheapskate, remember that Harold Lloyd said no person is worth over $20. ;)

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

The Rifle No. 1 Mk III and the 2A are great for rapid fire. For those who don't know the trick, here goes:

Grip the rifle firmly by the foreend with the left hand and press the butt into the shoulder. With the forefinger and thumb of the right hand, grip the bolt knob. Raise the bolt handle and pull back. Push forward and down. In doing this, keep the middle finger out at a right angle to the palm with the ring and little finger curled up. When the bolt closes, the middle finger goes right into the trigger guard and onto the trigger. Aim and press the trigger with the middle finger. Repeat until the magazine is empty.

Skip the silly thoughts about using the middle finger and try it. It works.

Jim

Have used that technique and it is quick. I like to call it the, "Lee Harvey Oswald," method. I know he was a lefty and probably couldn't have used it, but it is rather humorous.

Actually, I believe I use my ring finger on the trigger so I can get my thumb, index, and middle finger on the bolt handle.

I was first shown that technique 40 years ago by one of "the men who marched where the desert sands are burning, from Tobruk down the road to Alamein". He knew.

(The quote is from the British version of "Lili Marlene.")

Jim

Bunny has to be the first person I've ever met who likes the open sighted No1 Mk III's over the wonderful peep-sighted No.4 Mk. I's.
I had a No 1 Mk III, and while it had a decent bore and could always hit a 6" plate at 100m, it was damnably hard to get a good enough sight picture to do any better with it. Our No 4, however, was one that you would use to repeatedly knock over beer cans at the same range.
The triggers were about the same, as was the condition of them, but the No. 1 had that intermediate-mounted rear open sight that considerably shortened the sight radius and made the focus a bit more dificult.

BTW, We found some Winchester-loaded plain-white boxed 180g ammo that is AWESOME. It was loaded during the '70's or '80s (don't recall this minute). It's boxer primed, gives about 2500 fps, and gave us 1.5" groups. I wish to heck I'd bought more of that than the 80 rounds I did.

------------------
If you're *not* a member of the NRA, what *are* you doing to protect your rights to enjoy yourself on this Bulletin Board?
Do SOMETHING!

I can't add much to what has been posted other than to say: I like the open sights on the Lithgow No.1 Mark III's better than the peep-sighted No.4 Mk. I's. Now there are two of us. :)

------------------
TOUJOURS PRET
Swamprat

[This message has been edited by Swamprat (edited June 03, 1999).]

Back