Smiths: What improvements would you recommend on an out-of-the-box Ruger P95d?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goatherd

Inactive
Just looking for the slight improvements you would suggest to improve this gun's shooting.

Purpose: mostly home defense and fun but maybe some competitive shooting later as I get better.

------------------
"Is he quite safe?" "Of course he isn't safe, he is a lion, but he is good." - about Aslan (God-image) from CS Lewis's the Cronicles of Narnia

Hi GH
I have several Ruger P series pistols. I found the best way to smooth up the trigger is to put some moly grease between the hammer and sear. Then I fold up a cleaning patch to fit into the area over the firing pin and dry snap the gun a couple of thousand times while sitting around watching TV. The patch cushions the hammer blow so your not hitting metal against metal, and the moly grease works right into the metal. You will know the trigger well, and it will really smooth things up. I have several targets on the wall that I practice dry on and when your hammer drops and the sites don't move, you will notice a considerable difference in your group size next time you live fire. Watch out for blisters on your trigger finger :-).
Good shootin

My P95DC came out of the box with a crisp single action of about 4lbs. and a double action like a finely tuned S&W revolver. Other than Millet adj. sights and a section of bicycle innertube on that slick plastic grip, no other "improvements" have been made. It will shoot anything I can get into the magazine and has never vapor locked.

WARNING: OWNING A CENTERFIRE PISTOL CAN CAUSE GUNAHOLISM. MEDICAL SCIENCE HAS PRODUCED NO KNOWN CURE FOR GUNAHOLICS BUT FREQUENT TRIPS TO THE RANGE WITH 100 TO 500 ROUNDS OF PRACTICE AMMO WILL PROVIDE SOME RELIEF

------------------
"When guns are outlawed;I will be an outlaw."

[This message has been edited by Will Beararms (edited October 30, 1999).]

I'm getting the hammer bobbed on my P-95, new night sights, and refinished in BearCoat or maybe something by RoBar.

Ben

From someone who has been to Ruger Armorers school (me) Their recommendation is either dryfire or shoot actual rounds several hundred times and you will be amazed how smooth it gets. And it's not expensive! Most of my friends are amazed how smooth all my rugers are. My GP-100 is smooth as silk after 10,000 + rounds.

If you have large hands, acquire a Hogue Handall slip over grip. If you don't have large hands, purchase the Hogue replacement grips for Ruger P-series pistols.

Night sights...

Shoot about 300-500 rounds through it...

Keep it clean...

Enjoy it...

------------------
"No provision in our Constitution ought to be dearer to man than that which protects the rights of conscience against the enterprises of the civil authority" - Thomas Jefferson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back