SMITH & WESSON SIGMA

DONCO12345

Inactive
How has the new "Enhanced" Smith & Wesson automatics been performing? I have noticed one local police force, still carrying these pistols. Not wanting to raise the comparison debate between Sigma's and Glocks, just how does the Sigma perform on it's own?

I T&Ed one for my former agency, and it 'broke' after 63 rounds of Federal Hi-Shock 180gr. The trigger locked up, evidently a problem with the trigger bar (evidently, because the slide couldn't be removed to see). S&W claimed that the wrong trigger bar had been installed. 8 of 12 pistols (SW40E) had to be returned to the factory. The pistol was not adopted.

There is a lot of emotion around S&W. Now that they are defunct (acquired by Arizona company for 15M) maybe some of their better qualities will be found in another brand, or maybe the S&W name will be retained.

I picked up a 9mm Sigma this year because it is a high cap (17+1)9mm for $350.00. Got two 10 round mags and picked up two factory 17 round mags.

The trigger is, admittedly, pretty bad. It took me a lot of getting used to in order to get good accuracy from the pistol. The pistol can be shot accurately if you work at it. Held on a shooting bag and fired slowly I have found it to be very accurate. I don't believe there is anything inherently wrong with the pistol. I get acceptable accuracy off hand or in a two hand stance. Any inaccuracy is from me pulling to one side with the trigger pull.

I have only fired winchester 9mm from mine but it has been absolutely reliable. I have no idea how it would behave with +P ammo.

So, it is a fairly cheap, hi cap 9mm. However, I also picked up a CZ this year for about the same money. It is also a high cap 9mm and it has a very smooth trigger that makes accurate shooting relatively easy.

I owned an original Sigma 9mm for about a year. Shot around 300 rounds without any problems. The previous owner had sent it back to SW for upgrades which I cannot remember. I too was unhappy with the stiff trigger. One thing I did like very much was the way it felt in my hand. I am left-handed and the grip was very nice. also, original 17 round mags can still be found for a fair price. I have been debating getting one of the new style Sigmas since I still have mags.
In comparison to a much more acclaimed pistol, I have a problem shooting a Glock because of the mag release which is square and sticks out. It leaves an imprint on my hand when firing. No major crisis, just annoying. No flames whatsoever against Glock, just my personal experience.
I prefer the HK USP stlye mag release overall- Can use index finger on L/S of pistol, or thumb on R/S since release goes down, not inward. Gunhound

Back