Smith & Wesson research

Genepix

I know I've seen references to how one can request firearm history from S&W, but forget the protocol. I would like to learn about a couple of pistols- who they were originally sent to, what factory work was done, etc. I would appreciate knowing the procedure- thanks...

It sounds like what you're referring to is a Firearm History Request, more commonly known to S&W collectors as a Factory Letter. To receive such a letter, you need to write to S&W Historian Roy Jinks and provide a description of the firearm (model, caliber, barrel length, finish, etc.), serial number, and a photograph or sketch of the gun. The letter you will receive will contain a brief history and description of the model of your gun, when the gun was shipped from the factory, to whom it was originally shipped, and in what configuration (barrel length, finish, grips, etc.) it was originally shipped.

You should be aware that there is a $50 fee for this service. Because of this, most S&W collectors only bother to get uncommon and/or valuable specimens "lettered" because if the gun is still configured as described by Mr. Jinks, the letter will authenticate the gun's originality and thus add to its value. That's not to say that a common gun isn't necessarily worth "lettering", I could certainly see someone "lettering" a gun that holds sentimental value and/or is a family heirloom.

The information on obtaining a factory letter can be found here:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_757825_-1_757814_757812_image

If you would be content with more general information, you might be able to find what you seek in a copy of The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson which is available from most book retailers like Barnes & Noble or Amazon for about $40 or so (a used copy might be found cheaper). In this book, you will be able to find serial number ranges for years of manufacture (thus finding the year, though not the specific date, that your gun was made), available factory configurations, and a brief history of nearly every model of gun S&W has ever made. While only slightly cheaper and much less specific than a factory letter, one copy of "the book" will cover multiple guns.

Be aware that the cost of the letter is $50 (not cheap IMO) and the service is pretty slow. Guys are saying it's up to a four month wait for the letter. The whole thing is a one man operation and he really needs to get some hired help as even at $50 he is apparently swamped with requests.

It may or may not list any factory work. Odds are it won't. It will likely tell you it was shipped to some long gone hardware store in The middle of nowhere.

So, it's worth considering the added value of the $50 letter and the odds of a payout.

If its worth it for you, go for it. It's kind of fun to see when it left the factory and, where it originally went. But, realize, if you sell it, you likely won't recoup your $50.

Or, you may discover it was shipped to someone famous and quadruple the value of an otherwise pedestrian gun.

I know I've seen references to how one can request firearm history from S&W, but forget the protocol. I would like to learn about a couple of pistols- who they were originally sent to, what factory work was done, etc. I would appreciate knowing the procedure- thanks...

For information on the Configuration, date, and to whom a revolver was shipped the factory letter is what you need. If you want to know if a revolver was returned to Smith and Wesson for repair or custom work, contact the Smith and Wesson collectors association, they have access to many of the S&W factory records. Smith and Wesson charges $50.00 for their "letter." The SWCA does charge a fee for their information but I don't think it's as much as a factory letter.

Back