Smith &Wesson Re-Blue?

johnm1

First off, I hope this is in the correct forum. Second, I don't have the ability to photograph the revolver in question as it isn't in my possessition. Also, I don't have the photographic talents to accurately photograph the blueing well enough to visually describe the below accurately. I realize a photograph would be better then my written description but it just isn't available.

A friend has a Smith & Wesson revolver chambered in .455. It has no model number inside the crane so I assume it is from the 50's. Beuatiful fireearm in a presentation case. The only indication that it may be a re-blue is that the frame has a distinct 'Purplish hue' to it. There are no other signs of a re-blue. All of the roll marks and screw holes appear crisp with no rounded edges and all of the sharp corners are still sharp. There are no signs of pitting anywhere nor does it appear that there ever was pitting that was polished out. There is not a mark indicating a factory repair/re-blue. The barrel has a typical S&W blue color to it with no signs of purple. The difference in color is not huge. But I can see, under certain lighting that the purple is present. Change the angle of the lighting and the colors on both the frame and barrel look the same.

The question is if Smith & Wesson ever produced an original blue that had this "purplish hue' or if the presence of the purple is definate sign of a re-blue?

Again, sorry about the lack of photographs. Thanks.

Last edited:
I owned a Ruger #1 AB that had the frame turned purple on me and currently own a Colt revolver from the 50s that has a barrel taking on a purplish hue. Both guns had there origin finish.

A reddish or purplish color is almost always the sign of a reblue using the wrong chemical for the alloy used in the gun. Factories have made that mistake, but I don't think S&W did in that era. Maybe never say never, but I am 99.9999% sure that it indicates a reblue of your gun.

Jim

Back