Smith & Wesson Model 952 Automatic.

Hard Ball

I hear rumors from "usually reliable sources" Tthat S&W is comming out with a modernised version of their Model 52 target automatic chambered for 9mm. thus Model 952. It is supposed to be a real tackdriver out of the box.

Held one a couple months ago. Nice pistol, sure, but not for $1300. Sure looks good for bullseye or PPC though.

It is pretty much the spitting image of its ancestor.

But, I think the blueing is deeper on the 'original'. It was priced at around $1200 here, IIRC. For that much cake, I'd buy a P210 first.:)

S&W 952

Hardball - I picked up my 952 about 10 days ago and it is an incredible gun. It outshoots anything I have including a couple 1911s with about $2k each invested in them. On top of that it is a practical self-defense piece - see the Gunworld article already mentioned.

You won't find the gun listed on the S&W web site. It is a Performance Center gun built only for Camfour, one of their largest distributors(they have a website, http://www.camfour.com I think). When I got mine my dealer who handled it said they only built 100 but there were 3 others showing up on the web at differnt places - just search under Smith & Wesson 952. I paid $1250 for mine.

I was looking for a real tack-driving 9mm. I have a Browning Hi-Power Competition if you are familiar with it and the S&W will shoot rings around it. I can't say how it would compare to a Sig 210, but I had been looking at the Sigs and it looked like a decent one was going to cost $2k so I jumped on the S&W as soon as I saw. I am thrilled with it.

I would love a 952, but as Mike so eloquently stated, 'they can choke on it.' heliparts, you should have left that gun unfired, when S&W goes under it would have had some collector value if NIB. I hope your dealer is in full compliance with the S&W and HUD agreements as well. You didn't notice any full capacity mags or pre-ban 'semiautomatic assault rifles' did you?

Hello,

I own a Sig p210-6, a S&W 52-2 38 wadcutter, and a recently acquired, used S&W 952.

I am a big time recreational bullseye shooter and the S&W 52-2 is my favorite bulleye gun. It fits my hand perfect, has an incredibly smooth trigger, little recoil with the wimpy WC loads, and is extremely accurate. I decided to pick up a SW 952 to get a 9mm version in my collection. Yes, the frame and the feel are the same, the finish is second to none and its a tackdriver as well. It has alot more recoil then the 38 WC and the trigger is not as smooth. THe 52-2 beats out the 952 in my book.

Next up...the Sig p210-6 vs the 952. The Sig p210-6 is the Rolls Royce of 9mm semi autos. THose who are fortunate enough to own one will surely vouch for this as well. I know, they are rare and expensive but after your first range session with a Sig p210 you will be convinced that this is truly an incredible pistol. The trigger, the balance, the accuracy are second to none. Its almost as if the pistol is on auto pilot to shoot cloverleafs after emptying a few rounds into a bulleye target. Go 10, 15, or 25 yards..it does not matter!! I'm using cheap Federal American eagle ammo too. The pistol never ceases to impress me and I have a hard time shooting any other 9mm after handling the Sig.

With that being said, the 952 is also a great 9mm target gun but just not in the same league as the p210. I can get pretty tight groups with my 952 and bang out cloverleafs as well from distances to 25 yards but...I have to concentrate more to do it. It takes more effort on my part to shoot the 952 as well. I am lazy and do not like to concentrate for too long of a time...it hurts my head!!

So, I would reccomend getting a Sig p210-6 (or a 210-4 or 5) over the 952 in a heartbeat. You will be happy with the 952 but you just won't be in Nirvana.

Cheers,
Paul

Back