smith&wesson model 66 markings information

tp1

Inactive
i have a smith&wesson model 66 that i believe to be a no dash model going by the stamped model number but seems to have the 66-1 gas ring. also cannot find any information about the marking on the left side of the frame under the cylinder that says G.A.T.T.U.. does anybody know what that means?

Welcome to TFL! Could you post some pix and share the serial number? Some are shy about printing the full serial number, and you can get around this buy uses Xs for the last 3 digits (e.g., ABH986xxx) just make sure the number of Xs equals the number of missing digits. The serial number can pin down the age to within a year and that will in turn pin down the "dash" number.

The G.A.T.T.U. stamp is probably the initials of whatever agency issued that revolver. I have a New Hampshire State Police gun that has NHSP stamped in the same location:

swmod68601.jpg

thanks for the pic, i figured it was something along those lines but cant figure out what agency it could be, a search brings up nothing. anybody know about the 66 no dash issue?

4k5 should put your gun in the no dash category. If there is a question about the gas ring and you can't post pictures, Google "s&w 66 no dash gas ring" and you should be able to find photos of the no dash and -1 variants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my question of the gas ring has been answered, thanks for the link. would you happen to know a more exact date of manufacture and what agency G.A.T.T.U is?

66 gas ring

I have a Model 66 (no dash), S/N 2k64XXX. It also has a 66-1 gas ring. It also has the original SS front and rear sights and the trigger stop. By putting together posts from other threads, it seems there was a recall of the weapon to replace the yoke mounted gas ring with the cylinder mounted gas ring to correct the seizing problem. The fit and finish of my 66 is perfect and would expect that the cylinder/yoke replacement is/was a factory job. Best hand gun I could hope to own.......just saying!

Congrats on what I consider to be the best all-around revolver ever produced. I have one, a 66-2 and one of my sons has a 66-3, his in almost new condition. Both have superb DA action triggers and that's the way we mostly shoot them.

The gas ring location will will date the gun, but even without the upgrade, if you keep it clean, it'll run well.

SS construction for weather resistance, outstanding SA and DA operation, sights that are pretty much the industry standard, and a frame/grip size that allows a 4" bbl'd model weight hovering around 38 oz. It doesn't get any better for all day, all night in any weather, carry, friends. With suitable loads it'll do for precision target punching, or serious social or back country armed encounters. And the .357 round has been a steady, reliable performer since 1935 IIRC.

Best of luck with yours, Rod

Back