Smith wesson model 66-2 ejector rod damaged

Spankster

Inactive
Hello all, I recently picked up a near new model 66-2 in the box. The only issue I noticed was the ejector rod head was damaged. So, I found a replacement and removed the damaged one. I read that the threads are left handed so no issues removing it. I noticed the threads on the rod were also damaged/stripped. Of course the ratchet shaft also has damaged threads. I was unable to install the new rod and I didnt want to damage it by forcing it. Next, I picked up a new ratchet assembly.

I was thinking of removing the good star from its stripped shaft and do the same with the new ratchet assembly. This way I can use the good star with the good threaded shaft. Only problem is I cannot find the proper method of doing this. I'm thinking this is for the factory.

So, I have a new rod and ratchet and after reading about how this work is done I will not attempt it. Was wondering if its recommended for Smith Wesson to do the work and do they have the capabilities?. If they are able to do the work, are they able to use my parts even though the ratchet star does not drop into the cylinder, and the two pins do not line up.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks so much

CALL S&W

While that specific model is long discontinued, S&W still makes guns that size with essentially the same or very similar parts so I would expect them to be able to do the needed work, but call them and talk to them to be certain.

Also possible is an authorized S&W warranty shop, there might be one near enough to you to do the work without the hassle and cost of shipping the gun back to S&W.

Kuhnhausen's book on S&W is a godsend for anyone trying to repair or do work on S&W revolvers (he has others on Colt, etc.) Amazon has it

With a very wild and hairy guess, I'd almost bet Smith would want to replace the parts with theirs unless, another wild and hairy guess, you bought the parts from them in the first place. It'd take a phone call or e-mail to S&W to find out for sure.
https://www.smith-wesson.com/customer-service/contact-us
You might want to find and talk to a Smith, um, smithy. Downside to that is that good smithy's are very busy guys. It can take months to get anything done.
I don't think those parts require fitting, but extractors are a one piece part. So there's no "removing the good star".
"...long discontinued..." A 'K' frame is a 'K' frame is a 'K' frame.

FWIW. I had a 66 No dash with a damaged star...called S&W... they offered to fix it for $35. They did and replaced all the springs and thoroughly cleaned the gun.

FITASC wrote:
Kuhnhausen's book on S&W is a godsend for anyone trying to repair or do work on S&W revolvers (he has others on Colt, etc.) Amazon has it

Amen to that!!!

Yea I called S&W on cylinder replacement
on a damaged 15-3. They said they do it if
I can find a cylinder no problem.

Back