Smith & Wesson Model 37

Danb6177

I have this revolver, the model 37. Its sorta old and from what I can find its suppose to be able to shoot +P ammo. But also found this is a debated topic. Does anyone have one of these? Have any luck with the +P ammo?

S&W and Internet Experts will not "rate" an older M37 for +P.
But my M38 will just have to hold up the best it can in the event. It gets standard velocity for practice, though.

My daughter carries one for CCW. She uses target wadcutters or 130 gr. FMJ standard velocity for practice, but for carry uses Hornady Personal Defense 110 gr. which I believe is +P.

Thanks, I am gonna stick with the regular specials. Ill wait until I buy something else to shoot the +Ps. For some reason I have a few boxes of them.

ID the [-#] behind the model number.

The early M37 are STANDARD pressure rounds, the aluminum frame cannot handle the current "+P" loads.

you may need to trade it in for the newer framed J-frames.

i save 38sp+p ammo for modern era, all steel revolvers and even here i very rarely shoot it. plain jane “target” ammo is my practice and carry ammo. airweight revolvers get wadcutters.

I started in the mid 1970's as a young cop using revolvers on and off duty. I have had many and still carry them when appropriate. For the longest time, the standard duty round, country-wide was the 158 grain lead round nose. They sucked for many reasons, but revolver sights were regulated for bullets of that weight. Target wad cutters are close enough in weight to hit point of aim/point of impact. I carry +p in modern revolvers (Speer Gold Dot short barrel). In my aluminum S&W's and Colt Cobras I carry Hornady XTP 158 grain ammunition. They hit where the sights indicate they should and penetrate well. There's been a trend in recent years to recommend target wad cutters for defensive carry. You can find any number of articles, pro and con on the Internet. As always, the first rule is to have a gun. Most of the other stuff is angels dancing on the head of a pin. Good luck.

I’ve been shooting 38 special, 38 plus P and 357 out of the model 66 Taurus. And reloading all 3. I have decided to get a conceal hammer 38 for carry that will hold my plus Ps. But I’ve also realized that I am in dire need of a 44 a 45 and a 500. I did not realize the necessary capital in this reloading business. And I haven't even gotten to rifles yet. I’ll be divorced in a year lol.

I don't see why you would want to unless some sort of +P ammo was on sale somewhere. I use 38 Wadcutter ammo in my Model 37 for defense. It's just fine.

Attachments

• IMG_8729.jpg
    IMG_8729.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 82
  • LH side M37.jpg
    LH side M37.jpg
    606.2 KB · Views: 77
Couple months ago liquidated my short barrel S&Ws. I did keep a model 37 for carrying purposes. Like all light weights they are made to carry much and shoot little. No point in running +P & heavy loads
through them. Actually wish I had kept the m38, about same weight and snag proof.
aec6e4e5bb98d09492273743591210f1.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back