Smith&Wesson Model 36

PaladinVC

I have a bit of a problem with the S&W Model 36. I shoot one with a 2" barrel, and whenever I reload, I have to pick brass out of the accursed thing. Is the ejector too short? Am I not hitting it hard enough? When I hold it upright and really smack the rod, all the casings drop out, but I hate being that rough on the thing. What can I do?

Get use to it. That's the way it's suppost to be used. You will hurt your hand before you hurt the revolver (I presume that you hit it with the palm of your hand not on the bench).

You could try polishing your charge holes, that might help a bit. The ejector rod on the 2" barrel is just a little too short. That's one reason 3" barrels have always been so popular.

Good Luck...

Joe

Joe & Skip are both correct.

Polishing and chamfering the chambers may help somewhat.

Smacking the ejector rod SMARTLY is actually the best way to do it, for two reasons:

1. It ejects the brass (as you know).

2. It helps prevent the case rims from slipping under the extractor star, which can be a real pain in the butt.

When I shoot a competitive course with any of my Smith revolvers, by the end of it I have a series of little bruises on the palm of my left hand from slapping the ejector rod.

In that sense, the older Smiths, the ones that had the mushroom shaped extractor rod head, are a lot nicer on the palm. :)

I have a model 36 made in 1994 and I have never had a single problem with it. I keep the cylinder chambers dry and use only factory ammo.

Clean the cylinder,clean your brass and point the barrel upwards when you eject the cases---if that doesn't work,get a 3in barrel which will go fine b'cos the ejector rod is longer.

Back