Smith & Wesson Model 32-1 Terriers

the45er

I have two of these little revolvers. Made between 1961 and 1968. MINT condition. The only mark on them is a very, very faint "cylinder line" caused by rotating the cylinder a few times. Original box. Blue. 38 S&W Caliber.

Could someone give me an idea of what these might be worth? Hard to find comps on the popular online gun websites for them.

Yep, if I were in the market for a 38 S&W I would pay a $400 price tag for one in the condition you posted. I bought a 30-1 with the box and paper work for $400 about 5 years ago. It did not have the factory grip but came with a Mustang wood grip that I really like. But I wish I had the original grips for it.

The down side to a 38 S&W is factory ammo is not common and sort of expensive when you do find it. I just reload so ammo would not a problem.

Last edited:
Yes, the original post said "Original Box" for both of them. They are unfired and near unfired. I would think that it would be S&W revolver collectors interested in these guns, not persons looking for a concealed carry weapon. 38 S&W cartridges are not easy to find.

I missed "original box." Add $100.

If you think they are worth more then why bother asking here? We're just guessing anyway.

If all you want is a value estimate call them $10,000 guns. If you actually want to sell put 'em on Gunbroker and the bidders will tell you exactly what they are worth.

I paid $400 for this pristine Terrier from around 1955 a couple years ago. No box.

standard.jpg

If you think they are worth more then why bother asking here? We're just guessing anyway.

What did I say or write that elicited this comment? I appreciate the posts here because I didn't know where to begin to get a range of prices. And I don't believe gunbroker necessarily sets the market. Any "auction" depends a lot on timing. I've bought and sold enough sporting equipment to realize this is fact!

Someone offers me $1300 for the pair and it's a deal. LOL I'm not trying to retire on the sale. Just don't want to give them away either.

Last edited:
From my observation, $400 ~ $450 would be a good starting price.

For some reason, snub nosed revolvers seem to be escalating in price, regardless of caliber. The Colt Detective Special-Banker's Special- S&W Chiefs Special- S&W Terrier seems to be the latest craze among collectors.

Bob Wright

My opinion is that you probably have a pair of $750 to $850 revolvers. That said, you have to find the 38 S&W snubby fan when he wants to buy.

That causes these market corrected quotes...,-$150 for 38 s&w vs 38 spcl.
-$100 to sell quick.
-$200 or so due to "current" popularity

I would list them for sale and hold out for $700 or more, personally. It will be a long wait, but I have waited on a couple of guns for 2-4 months.

AFAIK, the name Terrier was applied only to the revolver in .38 S&W; that gun was essentially the .32 Hand Ejector, modified to .38 S&W but holding only 5 rounds. When S&W decided to produce a small frame .38 Special to fill requests by plainclothes and "desk officers" for a compact revolver in the service cartridge, they decided to revamp the Terrier to accommodate .38 Special and the result was the very successful Chiefs Special line.

Jim

Back