Smith & Wesson Model 317 Airlite

Stewie

Inactive
I plan to buy a Smith & Wesson Model 317 Airlite (.22 caliber) soon, but so far have not been able to find one at a gun range to test-shoot. Can anyone give me their personal experience with this model and let me know the pros and cons before I put my money down?

This gun comes two ways, with a 2" bbl. and fixed sights, and a 3" bbl. with adjustables. I've shot the latter, and I found it to be an enjoyable gun. Its owner said that the 2" models have horrible triggers, by comparison, and the handicap of fixed sights(for a .22).

Since this is your first post, welcome.:) S&W did a bad thing last year in entering into a terrible agreement with the Federal government. You can search in Legal and Political under the terms agreement, and boycott for a whole slate of threads which will get you informed. That's why many of us look for our 'new' S&W revolvers in the used cases of our friendly gunshops.

What Victor said.

Plus you might keep an eye out for a nice used Model 34. Bit heavier but also a bit stronger.

Should be able to find 317 in the $300 range and 34 in the $200 range. Patience pays.

Sam

Stevie,

I know this is not what you asked, but why are you buying a snubbie .22? If for personal defense, you would be much better served by a more powerful caliber. If for plinking, then I would suggest a longer barreled gun. If for collecting only, then more power to you (except of course that you should consider a USED S&W).

I owned a 317 (2") when they first were introduced, but did not like it. The extraction was terrible as was the trigger.

I had to send it back to S&W for a refinish of the cylinder after two range sessions.

The finish is nothing more than a baked-on polymer.

I would try to find a good used 34 or 43 (airweight). When S&W stopped hard anodizing their alloy frames, it was a mistake, IMO.

Back