smith & wesson m&p 15-22 25rd magazine mod

creepyNinja

i have a few 25 round mags for the m&p 15-22 and would like them to be 10 round mags. anyone knows if there's a part or conversion kit i can install to make them 10 round? also, it would be nice if the conversion isn't permanent so that i can convert them back into 25 round mags.

Just an Idea but it might work

Reading your post made me think of the "plug" used in shotguns to make them legal. Most shotguns hold 4 or 5 rounds BUT hunting requirements are for 3 max, 1 in chamber and 2 in the magazine.

I think (yes I know hat can be dangerous) you could measure and determine the 'height' of mag space taken by the 15 rounds you want to "lose". Then you could make a bock of wood to fit inside the bottom of the mag to replace that space. The bottom of the mag spring would sit on the block of wood preventing you from loading more than 10 rounds in your mag. When you want to convert it, you could disassemble your mag, remove the wood block, and reassemble to restore your 25 round capacity. Good luck with the project.:)

Some have used small screws to restrict downward movement of the follower.
You'd have to work out where to fit them in your magazine though.
Be careful the definition of a "blocked" magazine varies from state to state, you'll need to find out what is legit & what isn't in your area.

In ban states you can buy modified hi-caps that have a pin riveted into the body of the mag, usually through the spine, that restricts the follower from moving past that point.

Be careful the definition of a "blocked" magazine varies from state to state, you'll need to find out what is legit & what isn't in your area.
are you telling me that even if you modified your mag to accept only 10 rounds, it will still be illegal in some area??

are you telling me that even if you modified your mag to accept only 10 rounds, it will still be illegal in some area??
It's possible, depending on how it was modified, and if it could easily be converted back to a high capacity.

Some laws may specify the conversion has to be permanent

Yes. I live in MA where we still follow the AWB. Thankfully I have a good supply of pre-ban high cap mags for all my guns so I don't have to worry about modified mags, but any post ban high cap mag modified to accept 10rds, must be done so that it cannot be readily switched back to it's original form, ie. tools must be used to do so, or doing so would destroy the mag entirely.

i didn't know there's a distinction between pre ban and post ban mags. how do they even know what's pre ban and what's post ban...

-=* WARNING, this will make no sense, but it is the law in some places *=-

If it's pre ban it will have no markings.
If its post ban it must have a date marked on it.
Unless its ore-ban & marked for military & police use only.
:confused::confused::confused:

how do they even know what's pre ban and what's post ban...

Many times you can't. Generally mags weren't date stamped until the AWB went into effect, and after the AWB ended many companies stopped date stamping their mags or marking them "For LEO use only". If it came down to it, It's on the burden of a prosecutor to prove that your mags are not pre-ban, not for you to prove they are. So if you cant prove it's a post-ban mag, for all intents and purposes, it's pre-ban.

Some mags like Glock's had design changes through the years. The U-notch mags are most definitely pre-ban, some of the square notch are too but harder to identify.

Also the obvious indication is if the firearm in question was even in existence at the time. For example the M&P wasn't even around before the AWB, so no pre-ban M&P mags exist. Also Pmags for example will never be pre-ban, as they did not exist before the AWB, so many times you will see 30rd Pmags blocked or pinned down the 10rds.

so i found a replica m4 magazine for the m&p 15-22 that holds 10 rounds. it's made by a company called Plinker Tactical. they also make the 35rd mag. a lot of reviews said the 35rd mag has feeding problems. i'm hoping this is not the case with the 10rd one.
i already ordered it and am waiting for it to arrive. i will let you know how it performs if anyone cares.

Back