Smith & Wesson J-Frame Laser Grips

doc540

Just installed the a set of the latest Crimson Trace laser boot grips, LG-405, on my wife's Smith & Wesson, nickel, (1972) Model 36 Chief's Special in .38.

Her eyesight is such that it's difficult for her to sight on the snub's blade unless she's wearing her contacts or computer glasses. She might have to defend herself anytime, so glasses or contacts might not be in the picture.

As a training tool and self defense piece, we're going to try these at the range next trip.

CrimsonTrace005-1.jpg

(notice the anti-recoil pocket on the strap)

CrimsonTrace004-1.jpg

As a training tool and self defense piece, we're going to try these at the range next trip.
Don't wait have her try to hold the laser on a light switch while pulling the trigger.have her try to keep the dot on the switch until after the hammer falls.Had mom do this 5min a nite for two weeks and wow what a difference at the range.

Mavracer is right.

I try to shoot my 642 every day, a min of 200 rounds a week. Then while watching the boob tube, I clean it. I have a target set up across the room and spend hours dry firing, using both the sights and CT Laser. It helps. It helps a lot.

Just wish I had the ambition to dry fire my Bullseye pistols as much. Sevice Rifle also.

I have the same set on my model 60 and they made a huge difference... I think you will like them too... I now have 4 sets of CTLG on different guns....

So far I am batting 100% on showing them to people and letting them try them... everyone I have done this with (letting them shot the gun with the grips off and then turning them on and letting them shoot it again) has gone out and bought them a set as well....

Very nice pictures and revolver. I have been thinking about putting them on my 642, but I will have to see if it will fit in my holsters first. I have to much wait time and money to switch holsters right now.

I have em on my 642 and noticed my Don Hume OWB holster's fit is too tight now, but wouldn't trade mt CT grips for anything.

I got the 638 Airweight Bodyguard that came from the factory with CT grips with the S&W logo, they are the larger model that has a place to perch the pinky......anyway, they are great grips that make the little J frame more pleasent to shoot. But I had to "sight " them in with the allen wrench adjustments to get the laser to coinside with the bullet strike. Once that was accomplished...it was easy to hit things that I could not have using the iron sights.

+1 on dry fire practice with your CT grips. With that beautiful Chief's Special I would recommend snap caps, but others with more knowledge of older S&W revolvers might disagree. And remember, it is a self defense weapon, not a target weapon. Virtually all practice, dry fire or loaded, should be double action. If I had known seven years ago, when I bought my 637 (the Airweight version of your wife's revolver), what I know now, I would have bought the 642 instead. I've fired several thousand rounds from my 637, but less than a dozen were single action. And those were very unimpressive.

Cordially, Jack

I have the LG-405 on my 642 and the LG-305 on a 649. I haven't seen it said here, so I'll point out for those who've never tried them that the grips themselves are excellent, beyond their useful laser functionality. They're the best grips I've personally tried on a J-frame. CT did some serious R&D on the grip design, which is most obvious on the lightweight 642. I could hardly stand to shoot two cylinders of standard-pressure 38 Special in the 642 with the stock Uncle Mike's boot grips, but with the LG-405 it becomes quite shootable, so that I can practice all I want to with it (w/standard pressure ammo).

I did read one review of the new LCR that said that the LG model had a bit more felt recoil than the standard Hogues. I hope I can compare them someday; I ordered mine with the CT laser option.

I don't work for Crimson Trace, but I'd like to. :D

Last edited:
OKshot said: the grips themselves are excellent, beyond their useful laser functionality. They're the best grips I've personally tried on a J-frame.

I absolutely agree. Not only on J-frames, but also on my 686+ and T-series Browning HiPower. The original grips on my 686+ were pretty good, but the CT versions are better. And the HiPower CT grips beat those fattening pieces of wood that came on it big time.

Cordially, Jack

Just mailed my warranty card yesterday and took advantage of the "free batteries for life" offer.

They send you two per year.

I will NOT be without one.

I have a laser grip on my .45, it is my primary home defense gun, together with a Borealis 1050 lumens flashlight.

After the alarm sounded...
My tactic is to get to the bedroom door and from there control the passage way and the living room, with the body protected by the frame and with only my half face exposed, one hand holding the pistol and the other hand the Borealis flashlight.

With a laser is not need to line up your face with the pistol, no tunnel vision, no exposing body parts to get into a shooting position.
If you are going to have a gunfight, this is the best way!

This, for me is the most valuable feature of the laser.

The flashlight with the 1050 lumens (two millions candlepower) will cook the eyes of an intruder.

Colt .45 with laser grips and the Borealis 1050 lumens flashlight.

govtlaser.jpg

noflash.jpg

And I also have them in my carry gun, a Smith & Wesson Chief Special

laserlg305.jpg

Cheers

Black Bear

Armsmaster, your BUG is the first handgun I have seen with the Crimson Trace warning labels on it! Mine went straight into the trash.

Cordially, Jack

Back