Smith & Wesson Airweight .38 Special

mattfra

Can you give me some type of history on this Smith & Wesson Airweight .38 Special that a friend has. Year of production? It's blued, has wood grips with S&W logo, and 2 inch barrel.
It's serial number is J687XXX
Thanks,
Matt

Last edited:
Matt,

It was made sometime in 1979-1980 or so.

Which particular model is it?

Does it have an exposed hammer?

A shrouded hammer?

Hammerless?

Turns out it's a "Bodyguard". Now as far as model numbers, you've got me. Would a 690 sound correct? Thanks for the help regarding year of production though. This is really a sharp little revolver!

Here's how you easily tell the model number on all post 1957 or so S&W revolvers.

Open the cylinder, and look in the crane cut (the little recess at the front of the frame just under the rear of the barrel).

You'll see two sets of numbers stamped there. The first set will match the serial number, the second set of numbers will be the model number.

The model number will be a pair of numbers (if the gun is blued) likely followed by a "-" and another number (the engineering change number), or three numbers (if stainless steel, the model number will begin with a 6), again likely followed by a - & another number.

Smith never made a 690, so that's definitely not it. And, right off the top of my head, I can't for the life of me remember the model numbers for the Airweight Bodyguards.

Sigh, getting old sucks.

Mike.....you aren't half way to gettin old yet. gonna have to find nuther excuse.:D

638 = Bodyguard airweight. Alloy frame n stainless bbl n cyl. 5 shot j frame. 1,200 made in 1990 only. re-introduced in 1998.

Sam....I may be old but at least I'm confustipated.

Hey, thanks much for the info. I'll pass
it along to my co-worker who owns it. I've
only owned 1 revolver and it's a Single Six.
That little Bodyguard would be a great carry
piece.

Back