Smith Wesson 686 vs 627

liv4spd

I'm torn between the SW 686 SSR 6-shot or the 627 Pro (8-shot).

Can anyone who owns both shed some light on which one is better?

You're talking about the difference between an L frame and an N frame. The N frame is going to be a little easier to shoot. The L frame is going to be a little easier to carry. Go handle one of each, L and N, and the decision will be easy to make.

My 627 was a marvelous pistol, one of my all time favorites until I screwed up and blew the top off. I’d get another one if I could ever find one.

I'm torn between the SW 686 SSR 6-shot or the 627 Pro (8-shot).

Can anyone who owns both shed some light on which one is better?

I don't have a 686 but I do have a 4" L Frame (619) and a 5" 627. The 627 is my nightstand gun. It just has the perfect balance and feel for me. And it holds 8 rounds. If I could only have one 357, it would be my 627. The trigger is probably the worst of all my Smiths, but it's still far better than my Rugers. Not bad at all, just has a little more take up in single action for some reason. Double action is on par with the rest, and I can shoot it double action the best of all of my revolvers due to the weight and subsequent lack of recoil.

How did you blowup M27?
Accidental double charge of Titegroup that was already loaded to the max recommended level. I’d like to blame it on a malfunctioning Loadmaster but it also involved a bit of stupidity on my part as well. It took me over 30 years of hand loading to make this happen, carelessness can happen anytime no matter how long you’ve been doing this. It wasn’t a M27, it was a 627.

I bought a 6" 686 back in the mid 1980s and absolutely love it. I've killed quite a few deer with it and shot the center bull out of targets with .38 spl wc handloads. It's my "forever" revolver.

If you have an auto and load it +1 , then for home defense why 6 shot? Go with the plus 686.

The 627 is bigger, and bulkier and between the 2 putting home defense in the mix I'd pick my 686+ any day.

The 686 I have is really a 686+, though I don’t know that 7 shots is better than 6 shots for my plinking. What I do know, for sure, is that a 6 shot speed loader isn’t what you need for a 7 shot revolver. How, you ask, would I know that? Guess.

liv4spd, My N-frames have all been the 6-shot variety, but I've had several L-frames both 6 and 7-shot, one an SSR. Much as I like the N-frames, the 686s have become my favorite .357s. I think N and L-Frames are both excellent revolvers, just get the one that appeals most to you; don't think you can go wrong..

Forgot to add, no I don't think an odd number of shots is.....wierd. I have one L-Frame that is a 6-shot .357, with a 7-shot cylinder converted to 9mm.

liv4spd, My N-frames have all been the 6-shot variety, but I've had several L-frames both 6 and 7-shot, one an SSR. Much as I like the N-frames, the 686s have become my favorite .357s. I think N and L-Frames are both excellent revolvers, just get the one that appeals most to you; don't think you can go wrong..

Forgot to add, no I don't think an odd number of shots is.....wierd. I have one L-Frame that is a 6-shot .357, with a 7-shot cylinder converted to 9mm.
Many thanks for the advice. I opted for the 686 SSR in the end. I kind of feel like if magazine capacity were the most important factor, I would have opted for a semi-auto handgun instead.

Both are great revolvers. I own a 627 and snubby 686+ and for me they're different guns for different purposes. Either will work for either purpose, with one better than the other depending on use.

The 627 for the range if you shoot a lot.
The 686+ for HD.

Dual purpose with 100% satisfaction for both uses? Dunno about that. If I needed a revolver on the nightstand I'd take the 686+

liv4spd, Good choice, I think. Only thing I did not like about mine was the internal lock. But even though I didn't like the lock, the internal lock did not cause any issues. I did like the slab-sided barrel. Enjoy that new SSR.

Back