Smith & Wesson 617

Siggy-06

I finally decided on a new revolver after handling a few different models and barrel lengths: a S&W 617 with a 6 inch barrel. I reallly like the profile with the 6 inch barrel length, even with the lil extra weight. I have a few different brands or .22 LR and shorts and am waiting for my local range to reopen to find out what patterns best. I might want to get a nice leather holster down the road for woods plinking if anyone has a holster suggestion. Also, is there any reliable .22 lr snap caps available that work good without deforming? Thanks for any suggestions.

For snap caps, I remember someone saying drywall anchors work but I can’t confirm this. What I can confirm is the 617 is a solid choice. I was at my outdoor range a few days ago introduced my girlfriend to the plate rack and my 617. She was giggling from the excitement of hitting the plates with boring regularity.

I had a Ruger Mark II Target Competition that i shot Eley Club or Target.

I found from a club member that Aguila super extra is very accurate for my Savage MARK II TRR-SR, Ruger 10/22 and Ruger Mark IV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

As all guns are individuals, and have their own preferences as to ammunition, I'd try a variety and see what really rings its bell. My own Smith M18 (a 4" version of the M17) really perks with Federal Match Target,...fairly cheap til the current Corona panic, and will put a cylinder full into 1-1/2" at 25 yds from a rest if I'm having a "good eyes" day. Wolf match, CCI standard velocity and Remington standard velocity will do nearly as well, as will CCI Mini-Mags in high velocity offerings.

As to holsters, I'd find a good open top OWB for woods carry. El Paso Saddlery makes some beauties, but they're not cheap...a life time investment for a truly fine revolver. Below is one of my well used, home-built OWB's with the M18....HTH's Rod

I recently picked up a 1996 617-1 with a 4" barrel. Thus far it is turning out to be a very accurate gun for me. Ammo like CCI standard vel. and Federal Target have shot well for me. For hi-vel. CCI Mini-Mag did pretty well.

But like rodfac said all guns are individuals so its worth testing a lot of commonly available ammo. I have to comment on his Model 18 too , what a classy revolver and a great shooter too!

Back