Smith & Wesson 4566TSW 45ACP

N2GUNZ

I would like to hear some feedback on the S&W 4566 45ACP. Does anybody have one? What features do you like and dis-like about this gun? Is it accurate and reliable? Thanks!

I carried this gun for about two years. This was before the Tactical series, though. I was issued it brand new, and it hiccupped on my once which was my fault. Accurate for my purposes, not too heavy, a Smith downfall, and pretty reliable. I wish I could say the same for the older model 4566s, with the hooked trigger guard. Seemed like half those guns were jammatics, just not put together real well.
I would still carry one if given the choice.
Smith triggers could use a little polishing, something that takes a couple minutes with the proper know how, otherwise, it is not too bad. Mine came with Novak sights, as most do, and these worked just fine. Good sight picture and decently quick to acquire. The decocker/ safety are very positive, as in no mushiness or slack. I have seen some new 4566s that are decock only with bobbed hammers, although these might be LE contracts, specified for an agency and not a regular catalog item.
The biggest gripe that I have against the Smith is cleaning it. The slide has too many nooks and crannies to catch grime, however, this is alievated by spray cleaners (we are advised to use brake cleaner).

S&W 4566

Fed168,
Thanks for the information. I am looking at the new 4566 which is the tactical series. I have one other S&W semi that has been a great gun. It is a 9MM model 915. I have had it since '93 and I have never had a problem with it. I only remember it jamming once on me. I have heard a lot of negative things on S&W semis but I am willing to try another one.

What kind of price have you found for the 4566tsw? I am also looking for one, but have had a hard time finding a dealer that still sells S&W.

Greg

Back