Smith & Wesson 19 improvement questions

jmcbang

Inactive
I recently purchased a S&W 19 and I was wondering what are some of the things I can do to improve upon it. I have already purchased Hogue grips for it. I also wanted some information on reducing the hammer pull. Thanks for any information
J McBang

The S&W Model 19 is one of the easiest and best guns for a trigger job. Out of the box it is good; a trip to a good gunsmith can make it superb.

There have been many threads on improving the S&W trigger pull, and I think there is even a site which has information. But unless you have had experience in pistol work, I would recommend you talk to other shooters and to gun shop people (ones without their own gunsmith) and find out who in your area is best. If there is none, try someone like Cylinder and Slide (www.cylinder-slide.com) for a quote.

Note that I said the job is easy, and for me it is. But it is also easy to botch it and ruin expensive parts or even the frame itself. So if you decide to DIY, get Kuhnhausen's book or the equivalent (if there is one) and study the situation before reaching for the screwdriver.

Jim

You got a great gun. What Jim Keenan said is all true.

Even if you don't do your own smithing, Kuhnhausen's book would still be an entertaining, informative investment.

One basic problem with 19's and other older K frame Smiths.....they tend to multiply.

Sam

"get Kuhnhausen's book or the equivalent (if there is one)"

There isn't one.

What few there are are very specific in their ultra-general nature, to the point of being virtually worthless.

Then again, if you're really up to it, enroll into an NRA summer gunsmithing course and they'll teach you how to do it yourself.

Literally the best thing you can do to "improve" a model 19 is to shoot it. After 500 rounds it will be smoother. After 1000 rounds it will be incredible. You don't even have to pull the side plate off to get this improvement -- just buy some ammunition. If you don't care for the factory grips, you might want to try some others, but that is an easy thing to do also.

i guess i just like to tinker.

i prefer to have the face of the trigger polished smooth and the edges rounded to prevent pinching

i also like to bevel the cylinder release and the edges of the hammer spur because they seem to always "bite" me

but that's just me

Back