Smith Model 27

ARKCHAZ

Inactive
Hello everyone. I just joined FIRINGLINE. I have been lurking for awhile and have enjoyed all the information gathered. Now I have a question. Where could I find a Smith Model 27 with a 5" barrel? And what would be a fair price?

Take a number and wait in line! N framed 357's are one of the most sought after wheel guns today. It is all going to boil down to, how bad you want one. Search all the online auctions, every gun store in your area, gun shows and word by mouth. I would not be surprised that someone in this forum has a line on one. Good luck, very well worth the search. These are the best shooting 357's ever made.

Robert

Im not sure exactly what you want but try...Dans gun room in Hernando fla, they have a 6" nickled in wooden case,,,,,the 5" arent all that common but they are out there, the one's ive had in the past were nicely tapered barrel with smooth stocks, great bluing...good luck...fubsy. (in case your wondering why I havent tried to buy this one its only because I dont like nickeled guns....and have been known to purchase a nickled one and have it parkerized.....(1911)...fubsy,

Actually all I'm looking for is an N frame .357 magnum. Did Smith make any others that would be easier to find?

If you take your time, I am sure that you can find a 27 in good condition somewhere. Have two friends that shoot with me in a postal competition, they both found one. Also heard rumor that S&W was going to manufacture a number of 27 that where going to be released to the public. The only other option is the 627PC, these are limited production guns from S&W's Performance Center. Not cheap either, about $700 to $850 a copy. I have one, certainly worth saving for.

Robert

S&W627pc.JPG

the model 27 is a great gun. i purchased one several years ago to compete in our local nra hunters pistol matches.mine has a 6" barrel. you might also consider the md.28 highway patrolman.it is basically the same revolver except it has a more duty like finish.keep up your search and good luck.

------------------

cliff

Shooter's Supply & Tackle, 509 No. Main St., South Hutchinson, Kansas 67505 has two 8&3/8" Mod. 27's in blue. They both show wear as expected, but both seem tight. He's asking $320 each if I remember correctly, maybe less. Phone # is 316-662-8141. Ask for Bob or Gregg. Reddog

A local gunshop has two model 27's with 6-1/2" barrels. NIB asking $399 each. Only catch is that they have some etching on the frames and barrels which I do not find attractive. But these are beautifully blued pieces with square butts and wood grips. These are both numbered (of 500). BTW, when this shop gets 3-1/2" and 5 inchers in they do not last long. I'm still looking for a nice model 27, but last fall picked up a 4" model 28 (highway patrolman) NIB, which is nice, but without the finish of the model 27.

Greetings, ARCHAZ check out Mount Vernon Gun
and Coin in Mount Vernon, IL. Mr. Karl Morgan
is a great guy; who will give you a good deal
on guns. I picked up a Smith & Wesson Model
28 .357 Magnum with 6" barrel, 98%+ NRA
excellent condition for $270.00 +S/H. He will
give you a three day inspection and if NOT
completely satisfied, return your total amount of money!!!

Best Wishes,

------------------
Ala Dan

ARCHAZ, I forgot to give you the e-mail address for Mount Vernon Gun & Coin. It
is as follows: mvgun@mountvernon.net
Tell Karl that I sent you.

Thanks,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

The Model 27 is the finest of S&W. The older the better. You can't hurt them. They will shoot hot handloads with no complaint. I carried a 5 inch for a time and could never find a holster for it for duty work, so used a 6 inch holster until Don Hume made one for me. The 3 1/2 inch version can be a street animal and is probably one of the most intimidating appear guns I've ever seen on the street. No such thing as a bad one. The Model 28 Highway Patrolman is a workhorse and doens't have the nice polished finish. I've also carried some Model 28's and again, the shoot the hottest loads and bring the .357 to what it is supposed to be without the fancy appearance. Both guns are HIGHLY UNDER rated by most shooters.

I agree about the model 28--a great gun, and as far as I know, identical to the 27 except for the finish.

You should be able to find them at any gun show for 250 in very good condition. With adjustable sights.

Mine shoots great...heavy, little recoil, accurate.. I don't like the original wood stocks, so have replaced them with the pachmeyers..

You can still find mdl 28's in various barrel lengths ,,,,the most common is the 4" I think.......the 28 is the exact same pistol as the 27, without the superb bluing or the knurling on the top also sans large trigger and hammer found on most 27's....I like em both and have tried to buy back everyone I sold...lol...no luck.....Personally I like the 28 for holster use, because of less wear on the finish of the 27, but Id carry either one....and they are a big pistol and do require the proper leather and belt set up....great firearms, dont buy too many as Im always looking...lol..fubsy.

6 weeks ago I found a used(but very new) S&W 27 4" for $300. I think a 5" version will be very hard to find.

------------------

Greetings, Yes sir; the Smith & Wesson Model
28 does have adjustable sight's. Great gun
for duty, plinking, target work, hunting, or
what ever?

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Back