Smith model 18(k-22) sticky chambers

bullfrog99

IT is very difficult to extract fired high velocity chambers from my K frame smith 22 revolver, is this common, should i polish the chambers or is there some other trick. It is a tackdriver but i am developing a callous on my palm from pushing hard on the ejector rod.

My Model 48 (.22 MRF) had the same problem, or worse--extraction was almost impossible with any ammo. I shipped it to the folks at the S&W service department. They did a good job of polishing the chambers and didn't charge for it. Problem solved. :cool:

I own a Model 17 K-22 that I have owned since new in the 60s and that old jewel is a fine piece of work and the rounds easily extract from the cylinder. But I also own a stainless steel Rossi .22 4" barrel and it is a bear to get the fired cases out, but also the brand of ammo seems to have a bearing on the degree of dificulty. The cheap Federal .22's that Wally World sells in the 550 round bulks packs seems to work the best. Try them in yours and see if it will make a difference. Good luck...7th:)

I have a M18 that has probably fired 10,000 rounds over the past 20 years--maybe more. Periodically the chambers gum up to the point where I use an M16 .22 cal. brush, solvent, patches, etc., and have to clean it in the usual centerfile manner. My standard load for it is T22.

I have had this occur in Kit Guns and other .22 revolvers as well that were well made and had smooth chambers. Nothing unusual.

I also own a Model 18 which is one of my finest wheelgun posessions. A complete cleaning of the cylinder really helped. A good brass brush and solvent (Hoppes #9) and ALOT of elbow grease. I was toying with the idea of using a power tool to scrub each chamber but if you attempt to do so, that great care would be advised. And if I had no experience polishing chambers, I'd leave it to an expert. Remember tight chambers relate to good accuracy.

bullfrog, give that chambers a good cleaning like has been suggested. If that does not do the trick, I suggest using a burnishing rod for your caliber, and polish the chambers.
Sling Shot

Back