smith and wesson top break?

bamajvc

Inactive
can anyone give me any info on this gun? its in terrible shape, looks like almost blew up at one time.
SN: 274258 Other Info
Smith&Wesson Springfield Mass. U.S.A. PAT'D Jan24.65
July.11.65 Aug.24.69 REISSUE July.25.71 May11.80 Jan.3.82

DSC_0001-1.jpg

My great grandfather gave this to my grandfather when he left home as a kid to work the ranches. Been handed down, and will go to my oldest son.

Model #3, 44 russian 5 didget serial number. w/target sights. My grandfather cut down the barrel.

guns%20004.jpg

guns%20005.jpg

Hi, bamajvc,

You don't mention the caliber, but I am pretty sure it is not .44. The picture is poor, but it looks to be a .38 Double Action, Third Model, and that serial number would fit.

There were some 203,700 Third Models made between 1884 and 1895, out of a total of over 554,000 for the entire .38 Double Action run.

With so many made, they bring decent prices only if in near new condition; as far as I can tell from the picture, yours would be essentially of no value, maybe a nominal $50 as a parts gun. A shame.

Jim

I was basing my guess from the shape of the trigger guard. I see that the .38 has the same trigger guard. From the poor picture, it's hard to tell.

TK

thanks guys

I figured it wasn't worth anything as the condition is terrible. I was just curious about its year and model. It doesn't have a caliber stamped on it anywhere. I thought it was a .32, could be a .38 though.

DSC_0017-1.jpg

Back