Smith and Wesson Revolver Confusion - HELP

GKTTXAG

Folks:

I have just acquired a Smith I-frame revolver in .38 S & W.

I am confused,

I believe it is a Regulation Police .

Serial Number is located on the front strap - 23,692. The number is repeated on the face of the 5 shot cylinder. The grip frame has the "strain screw" in the front strap as well.

The frame is not marked "Marca Registrada"

The revolver has (apparently) factory silver medallion Terrier- type round butt grips, that do not exactly match the grip frame at the front strap bottom and the grip frame has the "stepped" back strap seen on RP's.

The revolver barrel has apparently been cut to "snubby" it. It is 2.1" from the frame to muzzle. The faint remnants of factory makings can bee seen on the barrel, but they have been polished off, probably during a barrel re-blue. The cut off front sight has been replaced with a new front sight/ and top rib that runs from muzzle to frame and has been silver soldered into place. Workmanship is excellent; the bluing looks pretty standard. Markings are not washed out from sloppy polishing.

Question 1: What is this gun? Can anyone confirm if it is a Regulation Police or maybe a Terrier or maybe a 38/32 - 2"?

Question 2: What year was this revolver shipped, whatever it is?

Question 3: Is this likely to be factory work?

Thank your for your assistance and expertise.

Taggart

It's not factory work.
It is a Regulation Police, built between 1917, and 1940. Sorry the Standard Catalog of S&W doesn't break it down any further.
Somebody cut it down to a pocket revolver.
The trade mark stuff in Spanish, was added post WW2.

Back