SMITH AND WESSON MOEL 1000

pepemarine

IT ALWAYS SHOOT THE FIRST BUT ALMOST NEVER THE SECOND, THIRD AND FOURTH SHOT, WHEN I CANT SHOOT THE SUBSEQUENT SHOT I CAN SEE THAT THE HAMMER DIDN´T ENGAGED WITH THE SEAR, AFTER A CLOSE INSPECTION I´VE NOTICED THAT EVERYTHING IS O.K. WHAT CAN I DO NEXT?

If the sear and hammer are O.K., I would suspect that the action is not cycleing back far enough to cock the hammer. Check that the gas ports are clean, and the gas piston is clean and put in correctly( the small hole goes towards the action). Check to see that there is no binding in the action slide bars. If all of the above is O.K. I would check the trigger assembly.
Others may have other suggestions. Let us know what you find. John K.

Pepemarine, also check to make sure the magazine tube locking ring is tight. If the tube is moving you could be opening and closing the gas system. George

Mrs. 3-5-7 bought a twenty-gauge S&W 1000 seven or eight years ago, primarily because of the lightweight aluminum-alloy receiver. When we called S&W to inquire about an owner's manual and parts, we were told that they had no more parts...but they DID photocopy the parts list and operating instuctions and send it to us. After just three or four boxes of shells thru her new toy, it began to malfunction...not "feed" after the first shot...and then it wouldn't even eject the "empty". I disassembled it--keep in mind it was in excellent condition on the outside--and it looked like it had fired at least a pickup truck full of shells...and had NEVER been properly cleaned!!! There was a "sludge" all throughout the gas system...like someone had sprayed some kind of solvent or cleaner in there, but not bothered to go any further. After a THOROUGH cleaning, it became obvious that several of the components of the gas system were worn out...and replacement parts were not to be found, even back then!!! Cleaned it up as best I could, and she traded it on an 1100 "Youth Model" at her first opportunity!!!....mikey357

RE. S&W MODEL 1000

I THINK THAT THE ACTION IS NOT CYCLING ALL THE WAY BACK TO UN COCK THE SEAR AND WHEN THE ACTION CLOSES THE TRIGGER STILL BEING PULLED ABVIOUSLY DIDN´T ENGAGED THE HAMMER, WHAT TO DO GEORGE?

Pepemarine, the first thing I'd do is take it to your local smith for a detailed cleaning unless you are comfortable with completely disassembling/assembling the shotgun. Most smiths will clean one for around $20 and if there is a problem with a particular part they'll find it then. Your problem is either in the gas system or there is a burr, ding or something in the receiver that is slowing the bolt and keeping it from cycling fully. Again check the mag tube to make sure the gas hole is properly aligned and locked with the ring. George

Back