Smith and Wesson 1006

HEy all i was wondering if anyone has shoot a smith and wesson 1006. How does the 10mm round perform. Does the FBI still use it or has it moved on to 40SW? And most importantly how well does it shoot?

I have a 1006 which I shot recently for the first time in a couple of years at least. The 10mm has taken a lot of bad press because it allegedly has chambering problems, blamed on the length of the cartridge. I've never experienced any such problems; my 1006 has always performed superbly. I use handloads exclusively, most recently a 180 gr Hornady XTP ahead of 10 grains of Blue Dot. This gets around 1100 feet per second; still has plenty of power and it's pretty easy on the gun. Recoil is fairly mild. My gun has adjustable sights, and accuracy is good. Although I don't recall specifically how it was grouping, I was able to hit a one inch square at 15 yards pretty regularly.

Thanks for the info! I have always wanted a smith and wesson 1006 because of their use in the FBI and the 10mm cartradge. Thanks and i will consider the information you have given me when i go to a gun show or shop next time.

For the record, the Fibbies used the 1076, which is the Commander length version with a decocking lever, not a slide-mounted safety. Additionally, their version had the magazine safety removed.

If you want the real FBI-deal 1076 I know a gunshop that had one in real nice shape a few months ago. They probably still have it. As far as I know the 10mm is still approved for use by the FBI as well as several other calibers but the .40 is their caliber du jour. The 10mm gets a lot of bad mouthing from folks who don`t have one and have never shot one. Try it, you`ll like it! :D Seriously you have loads from .40 "short and weak" level (sorry couldn`t resist! ;) ) to stompin 700fpe loads all available factory loaded in weights from 135gr.-220gr. General use full-ish power 10mm loads run about 550-600fpe. They`re very potent but controllable with a little practice. Marcus

Back