Smith 17- 5 approximate date range.

mec

This is blue old pattern buy un-pinned 8 3/8" barrel with target hammer/trigger and internal (sic) trigger stop. Appears to be fairly recent. Does anybody know date ranges on dash fives?

it appears to be AYU 7898. About that time or a bit later, their quality control took a pretty good upswing. Everything about this one says whoever put it together was serious.

As strongly suspected, this revolver performs just like you hope and expect the K 22 family to do. -Attached picture from first range session.

Before going out, I weighted the trigger pull at 4 lbs and a couple of ounces SA. The gun is still tight and new and the trigger is not all that consistent one chamber to the next yet. Nevertheless it is a pretty slick action. I bounced the side plate and took a coil off the trigger return spring. this moved the sa pull down to 3lb 8oz - 3lb 10 oz and, with shooting I expect it to settle in under 3.5 lb.

it seems to be the kind of revolver that I will be able to shoot well enough to enjoy the process even on my worst day.

Last edited:
Back