Smith 1006 for IDPA

sammy69

Hello all,

I just scored a Smith 1006 after 5 years of looking. Keep in mind, here in California since the gun is "off list" the only way it can be sold is by private party transfer. Our local club hosts monthly IDPA matches. The go to gun has been a G20SF. Granted it is not a competitive gun but it is lots of fun to shoot and other shooters help me hunt down the brass. Last month I managed to retreive 95%. Much better odds than shooting in the woods. Well on to the questions. What kind of gun and magazine holsters would you recommend? Second question is where can I find magazines for a decent price. I looked on Smith & Wesson's site and found they are still making magazines for it which is great. The gun is NIB but I am going to replace the springs for good measure. Is their anything else I should know? My favorite load for the Glock is 9.4 grains of Longshot under a 180g. Montana Gold HP. It gives me 1250fps in the Glock out of a standard length KKM barrel. Do I correctly assume I should work the load up since this gun is different? Sorry for the scattered questions. I am doing the transfer tomorrow afternoon and can't wait!!!! Picts to follow. Thanks for the responses, Sammy

Sammy,

I suggest you check out the Brian Enos Forum(s) if you aren't already a member for answers to your question(s) regarding IDPA, USPSA, 3-gun, and more.

I'd be loading down, way down, from 180@1250! I see a lot of obsolete/out-of-print mags at CDNN, so you might try them. It might not be easy to find cutting-edge competition holsters (the edge of IDPA rules, that is) for the 3rd Gen autos, but there are lots of carry holsters that are perfectly adequate.

I would follow RickB's advice about reducing the load. A Glock 20 will take the pounding of Full House Loads pretty well. The Colt Delta's and Smith's will live much longer taking it easy on them. Replacing the recoil spring is probably a plan also.

Did you ever wonder why most factory 10mm ammo is/was loaded pretty lite? I have chronographed some 10mm that was slower than 40 S&W in the same bullet weight. Trashing Colts and Smith and Wesson auto's would be the best guess for this down loading.

No, the 10mm was downloaded because the FBI who the gun
was designed for requested downloaded ammo when they
found the women didnt like to shoot the gun. The FBI load
became popular and nearly everyone afterwards copied the
load.
The SW 1006 was shot 10,000 rounds by a gun magazine
in a few hours where the barrel heated up to 435 degrees F
and they still kept firing it. It only became more accurate
as the test wore on. Oh I forgot to mention those rounds
were the full power Winchester commercial loads and not
any kind of wimpy downloaded ammo.

Similar to Scott Perk's story, regarding the Smith autos:

FBI 10mm Notes said:
Smith & Wesson initiated a program to fire a M1076 to destruction with the hottest commercial ammunition on the market (Norma), but discontinued the test after approximately 18,000 rounds. Nothing had broken, and they had more pressing matters to spend their time on.

Back