• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

SMILIES

BLUETIP

I am by far not a computer guru, so please bear with me. When i try to put a face next to a comment all i get is a :d or something like it. It says smilies are on.

"all i get is a :d"

That's exactly what you should see.

The forum software then translates those keyboard characters into the graphical representations you see in the pane to the right of the "reply to thread" window.

Once you get familiar with the keyboard strings needed to create each smilie, you can simply type in the characters rather than click the smilie face that you want.

One way to make sure that you're actually getting the smilie you want is to click the "preview post" button to the right of submit reply.

That will apply all the formatting and translate the keyboard characters to graphics.

Just remember to hit "submit reply" when you are ready to post your message. :)

Wait a second...

I just looked at your threads... The :d is showing up in a couple of them. I thought you were just being representative...

Which smilie are you clicking? :d is not a predefined smilie character, and I'm not able to figure out which one is generating it.

Im using the ones on the right of this screen. Green head with big grin comes up :d I SHOULD SAY THE POSTING SCREEN AS YOU TYPE

For some reason, your system isn't recognizing that the : d should be a : D, and I have no clue why that would be.

But, it has to be on your end, because if it was TFL and not working for you, it would be borked for everyone...

You can get around it by typing in the characters directly for now...

: ) (no space between the two) is :)

: D is :D

: p is :p

Is it doing it with any of the others?

I haven't tried any of the others :d i just typed it in manually and as you can see it just doesn't work. Oh well i'll mess around with it thanks for your time.:)

"Must use punctuation at the end of a sentence in order to keep the d large case."

That is DEFINITELY a system setting on your computer...

Are you by chance using a smart phone or a tablet?

That would explain a lot if you are. The "I'm going to be helpful and change your entry to what I think it should be" setting is a bit of a pain at times.

As Mike said, apparently your browser (which one is it?) thinks it's smarter than you and changes upper case letters, other than the first one in a sentence, to lower case. There has to be a tool setting you're not aware of that is doing that.

Yes you are correct however it will take me some time because i am a hunt & peck none computer usin' pipe fitter that just loves guns.

... and the browser name is ...... ?

Someone might be able to help find the sneaky little parameter if we knew where to look.

Sorry, i got tied up with some work calls then had to take the wife to her hair appointment, then get ready for company coming over for a bbq & bonfire. Again i am no computer guy, by browser do you mean mozilla firefox?

... by browser do you mean mozilla firefox?
Yes, but unless you have an add-on to Firefox, I don't think there is a setting that would change a :D to a :d automatically. So I guess it will just remain a puzzle for now unless someone else has any ideas.

Out of curiosity, how did you get the smilie code to work properly when you created the test post in the Software Testing forum? Did you type it in, or did you select the smilie from the image menu at the right?

I can do either, then if its a large case letter i have to hit post preview, because my computer will have switched it to lower case, when i change it back to upper case it stays there. Goofy isnt it. But it works.lol thanks for your interest.
Chadd kable

You must have some extra software or settings making that happen. Normal Windows and normal Firefox does not auto-correct web posts.

Try https://www.google.com/chrome and see if that has the same problem. You might have a Firefox extension or plugin that's screwing with your posts.

Back