smelting pot got a hole

1chig

my smelting pot has a hole in the bottom:( can i use a 12 in. cast iron skillet over a turkey fryer to smelt small amount in to get me by a day or two?

Yes.

As long as you never use that skillet for cooking food ever again.

NEVER EVER use an aluminum vessel to melt lead. The results can be catastrophic.

The problem using a skillet is it's shallow. If you use a ladle to transfer to your ingots, it will be time consuming compared to a dutch oven. But, yes, you can certainly use a cast iron skillet. You'll still get the job done.

How much lead to you have to process? I use a 2 quart Revereware saucepan and a 1000W hotplate to render scrap lead. It handles about 10 to 15 pounds at a time easily and is faster than it sounds.

The only problem I see with that dutch oven is that it has fire pit feet. It's designed for cooking with coals around a fire, not for stove top use.

Using the Bayou Classic turkey fryer from Home Depot works perfectly. It has the same basic grate pattern as most other fryers. I position the feet between the grates and have no problems at all...

Ah, turkey fryer. Those work really well for smelting lead. Mtnbkr uses one.

"Couldn't use a saw zall to cut the legs off and a grinder to smooth them out?"

Certainly. Cast iron cuts and grinds easily.

Find a thrift store. I bought a 24 quart stainless steel stock pot at one that cost me a whopping $3.25. I use it for melting down wheel weights to pour ingots. For casting I use a 6 inch cast iron skillet that is 3 inches deep. Price othat one was 50 cents at a garage sale.

Back