"Smart" guns mandatory??

G'day

Watching the Discovery Channel last night, there was an item on the ABC News about personalised smart guns. They had reps. from Colt and Beretta, as well as footage of obviously prototype handguns.

The item was presented as though smart gun technology was already up and running, a fait accomplit, although the manufacturers tried to explain otherwise. The Gun Control spokesman was given a great deal of time to expound his views.

However, what caught my attention was the closing remarks by the presenter to the effect that manufacturers may soon have the decision "taken out of their hands", as three states at least were legislating to make them compulsory. Unfortunately, I was interrupted and missed two of the states' names, but I did think I heard that one was New Jersey.

Can anyone substantiate or refute this, please?

Bruce

Not yet but read the text to the impending House bill

"Children's Gun Violence Prevention
Act" HR1342.IH

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

Governor Glendening says that he will ask the Maryland legislature to enact a law next year banning sales of new handguns without "smart gun" technology. Whether he really dosn't know the technology doesn't exist or whether he simply want to ban sales of new handguns in the state and is using this as a sneak way to do that, I don't know.

Jim

Jim..

Glendening's "law" serves 2 purposes: either banning guns cuz the technology doesn't yet exist and/or spur manufacturers to perfect the technology if they wish to stay in business and thereby make guns prohibitively expensive.

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

I hate to say it guys, but the "smart gun" already exists.

See the January 25, 1999 edition of The Houston Chronicle (section:METFRONT;pg. 13)

A Houston inventor by the name of Kenneth Pugh has worked out a deal with O.F. Mossberg & Sons to produce a "smart shotgun".

He has also produced a "smart revolver". This Pugh guy now holds the patent for the Smart Safety Revolver as of May 1991.

He currently has plans to produce a semiauto pistol with the same technology.

Read this article if you can, it's scary, but you've got to stay abreast of current and future infringements on our rights!

Bob

I'll never forget a quote I saw once: Artificial intelligence is no match for human stupidity. And that goes for any pieces of "smart" technology.

And making them compulsory is just plain silly. Watch and see, for Murphy will have the last laugh yet.

what we really need isn't smart guns, it's smart people holding office. How do we get achieve that? we vote for them! that is if there's any running for office. people will always find a way around any new technology.
if somebody made it, then somebody will figure out a way around it. ex: first the police had radar to catch you speeding, then we had radar detectors to catch the police, the police went to different bands, detectors followed, then thay had radar detector detectors, and a way was found to get around that, and so on, and so on.... as the old saying goes, if there's a will there's a way!!! so smart gun technology ain't gonna solve nothin', but i guess they're too stupid to see that...

------------------
fiat justitia

Back