Smallest handgun available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olszta

Inactive
Hello,

I'm very new to the handgun scene. I just got my license to carry concealed (a breeze in New Hampshire) and am now wondering about what I should purchase. Basically, I am looking for the smallest handgun available that conceals nicely, however, not so small that it is useless. Also, ease of use and reliability. The Glock 19? seems to be the smallest and lightest. Does anyone have any other suggestions or help for this beginner? Thanks in advance!

Michael

Look into the Kahr K-9... it's even smaller that the Glock and just as sturdy. The Kahr can only hold a total of 8 rounds, if you feel safe with 8 rounds of 9mm, then go for the Kahr
http://www.kahr.com

There are many, many handguns that will fit your purpose, my suggestion is to determine the minimum caliber that you are comfortable with and go from there. If 9mm is your base, there are several pistols smaller AND lighter than the G19, including the G26(27?), and the Kel-Tec P-11, and if you can stand a little more weight to get a smaller size, the Kahr 9 and MK9 are both outstanding. Almost the same size of the G19 are the Sig 225 and 228, the HK P7M8(my own favorite, but not for everyone), and several others. Any of these will do it for you if you practice with them.

Don't overlook the lightweight revolvers that are becoming popular right now, those are a total joy to carry and will spoil you rotten in no time. If you can live with a revolver, I can heartily recommend any of the S&W Airwieght or Airwieght Ti series. Choose Wisely! Welcome Aboard!

------------------
With my shield or on it...

Many knowledgeable people use, as the previous poster suggested, a lightweight pocket revolver. These are very easily concealed and, in a pocket of tight jeans, in a pocket holster, the irregular shape actually helps break up the outline of a gun, i.e., it's not readily apparent what you've got in there.

I really like the Smith 638--.38 Spl., "Airweight," +p rated, slightly shorter overall length than their .357's.

I might go with a Kel-Tec .32 when they become common and cheaper in price.

[I just noticed, Olszta, that none of us had welcomed you aboard. Consider yourself officially welcomed, for you obviously are, as evidenced by the answers offered.]

[This message has been edited by Rod WMG (edited September 14, 1999).]

The smallest would be the Downsizer but it is only a single shot and the grip is big enough for one finger. Up from that is a KelTec P-32, they are a little hard to come by right now because the are relatively new on the market and production has not caught up with demand yet. It is a .32 ACP auto that weighs under 7 oz and is less than 3/4" thick. In a full power pistol I agree with Rod WMG, the 638 or 342 S&W J-frames are both great gun and if you like the Glocks a 26 is smaller than a 19.

Keltec P32:
p32-auto-large.gif
Keltec P11:
p11-9mm-luger.gif
Kahr MK9 Elite:
gun-mk9.gif

Beretta Tomcat or Bobcat:
smallgrande.jpg

------------------
I got a short temper so watch it!

In auto-pistols 9x19P and up, Kel-Tec P11 is THE lightest, and I think the smallest. A Colt Pocket Nine is a little bigger and a lot heavier. I believe the Glock 36 would be next up (as yet still mythical in this neck of the woods). The Kahrs and then the Glock 26/27 are even bigger each respectively, IINM.

For a teensy .32 auto, The Kel-Tec P32 (also mythical?) is only 6 ounces - the smallest auto-pistol made, I believe - I want one. Also comparable in size in .32s are the Seecamp, Autauga Arms, and North American Arms (NAA).

The Berettas, Makarovs, little Sigs, and Walthers are fine in .32 auto, 9x17K and 9x18M, but not as power-to-size efficient as the others mentioned, IMO.

Oh, I almost forgot - for extreme smallness, everyday found in my left front pocket is a NAA .22lr 5-shot mini-revolver. It's so tiny, it's less intrusive than my pocket knife in the other pocket.

Having said that, A Glock 19, though a little bigger, is a GREAT all-around carry piece (full grip, decent sight radius, yet still very concealable - just not a pocket pistol).

[This message has been edited by Futo Inu (edited September 16, 1999).]

I'll agree with Rod. A pocket revolver tends to look less like a gun in your pocket than a comparable sized automatic. They are also nearly completely unaffected by lint, which tends to jam small autos. I would get a steel frame j-frame unless you plan to purchase two, an alloy frame for carry and a steele frame for practice.

A great thing about the .38 SPL is that it is probably the cheapest centerfire cartridge to reload for, and probably the simplest. Economically, its the next best thing to the .22 LR; a very important factor if you are going to achieve the skill necessary to poke holes in all of the right places.

The G19 is a great choice. The 26 is a bit smaller and lighter but still shootable. The Colt Pocket Nine is even smaller and lighter. 6.3" long and weighs 17ozs. The KelTec is a bit smaller than the Colt but has a spotty rep. The Kahr is similar in size to the Colt but heavier and has a great rep. I'd probably go with the 19 if I was you, because seeing as you are new to handguns it will be easier to shoot than the others yet still plenty small enough to conceal. Once you master it, it's easy enough to get a smaller gun.

------------------
Arizona Morgan, The Official Armchair Warrior

I carry the Taurus multi-alloy ti 38 special(ported). It is light and very concealable.
With +P loads it will do the trick.

I've got a Beretta Jetfire 950; it's the smallest Beretta and also the least effective http://www.beretta.it/international/images/950.jpg
I like it's looks a lot, but will still get a Tomcat. I recommend the Kahr K-9, Rossi, Glock 26, Taurus 85 or 605, Walther, S&W 6906 or 4013. If you can stand the looks of the Sig 239 then go for it. To me it looks top heavy. Decision's all yours.

Ben

------------------
AOL IM: BenK911
ICQ # 53788523
"Gun Control Is Being Able To Hit Your Target"

I would say if you are a new shooter, worry less about small and try to find a gun that is comfortable to shoot. The airweight and Ti revolvers are great guns, but not ones you will want to shoot a whole bunch. And the small 32's (guardian, etc.) are hard to get a good grip on and not the most accurate for a beginner. The Glock 19 would make an excellent choice, you can get your entire hand around it, is plenty accurate, fairly light, and recoil is mild, so you can practice, practice, and then practice some more. BTW, check the local ranges, a lot have rental guns, so you can try a few before you buy.

An NAA mini revolver is MUCH MUCH smaller than these guns.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Honestly, I wouldn't consider a tiny SA revolver for defense... maybe as a novelty toy like my Jetfire... but not defense.

I was thinking he wanted something a bit more practical.

Anyways,
Ben

------------------
AOL IM: BenK911
ICQ # 53788523
"Gun Control Is Being Able To Hit Your Target"

Everyone who when a NAA mini was pointed
at them - would say go ahead and shoot me -
please raise their hands.

Most DGUs are deterrent in nature.
These guns work well for their niche -
when nothing else can be concealed or