Smallest caliber for ccw

I draw the line on my primary carry guns at 380 -.38. I consider anything smaller a mouse gun and suitable only as a back up. Unfortunatly we have all been in a situation where even a 380 might be to large. I have a few 25 guns that I prefer not to rely on but carry as back up guns. I load most of my guns with MagSafe ammo just for the extra punch.

------------------
www.customholsters.com
M/D ENTERPRISES Custom Concealment Holsters
Gunleather so nice it's almost a crime to conceal it
mde@icsi.net

Definitely a 380 with the right ammo (where allowed) would be the smallest reliably(?) effective caliber. IMHO a FMJ 9mm would be below the expanding 380 (yet most LEO's, security people and others - in this country very few 'others' are allowed CCW) happily go about with 9's.
Bulk: the smallest possible for discretion - but on the other hand i believe that in many confrontations the intimidating effect of a weapon can stop the fight before shooting becomes necessary: So big and ugly if it fits in your carrying scheme. A "North American Arms" 22LR revolver in a lighter pocket must be the the most discreet and there are circumstances it may serve - but its unlikely to scare anyone until it goes bang :)

------------------
Member NRA (life), SASS (life 'El Chimango Pete' #20037), Muzzle Loaders, other clubs in Argentina. Firearms Instructor
On ICQ "Buzzard-Pete"

[This message has been edited by Elchimango (edited February 18, 1999).]

Any gun is better than no gun, so I have carried a Walther TPH, Seecamp .25, Astra Firecat .25, or Colt Vest Pocket 1908 .25. I carry solids in the .22 and MagSafes in the .25 ACP. Sure I would like to have my Kahr MK9 or S&W mod 38 but sometimes those are just too big to carry in a swimsuit with no shirt and no shoes.

Back