Smallbore rifle?

I used to shoot smallbore sillutte (sp) from 1989 to 1991. Have not shot it since. I shot an Anschutz 54.

I'm setting up my Anschutz 64 with a traditional hunting scope and will be getting zeros for smallbore silhouette (yeah, I had to look it up!) on my next outing.

Any experiences on whether the extra "oomph" of high-velocity rounds is nice to have for the rams? I've previously had the best accuracy from W-W Super-X solids and from CCI Mini-Mag solids.

Cheapo,
My rifle was set up with a Leupold that was boosted 18 to 40x by Primier reticle, with a target dot. Back when I shot you could offset the scope, so it was offset for the right eye, and a spirit level was set up for the left eye. Dad somehow set it up as a ring at the end of the barrel, let me tell you it worked. Had to change it around to a traditional scope mount. He put custom rings on it, no idea on who made them.
If I remember correctly, the zeros are 40m - chickens, 60m - pigs, 75m - turkeys, 100m - rams. I remember the rifle liking Winchester silhouette loads (a 100 rd box with a ram on the label) and lots of Eley.
IMO, I would find a target scope for the Anschutz. I don't know if the rules stipulate scope/rifle combinations, but I would go with a target scope, with an adjustable objective. Don't forget to lap the rings also.
I now have a 10/22T with a 12x Leupold and some Green Tag CCIs to work out.
Just some options, good luck.

Back