Small Star semi-autos

Strayhorn

Friends -

I understand that the small semi-autos from Star, the "S" models, were essentially .380 versions of the "M" and "P" series of pistols. The "S" models included the "S", the "SM", the "Si", the and "Ss".

I'm pretty sure the "S" was the original, and the others incorporated small changes - perhaps the "Ss" was a stainless model.

My question is whether these were all the same frame. The reason I'm asking is whether grips from one model will fit all three.

Thanks for any info provided,

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC

I have a Star Model S (1941), but I don't know if all of them have the same grips... I dropped into a place that sells replacement grips, and they seem to have several grips for the S models, maybe you can make sense from this, or check their site at Vintage Grips

S/79 Star Model SI Pistol $18.95

S/80 Star Militar Pistol $18.95

S/81 Star CO .25 Pistol $18.95

S/82 Star Model SS (Super S) .380 Pistol $18.95

S/82a Star Model SS No Thumbrest $18.95

Thanks, John, that's a good start.

The "S" model came with thumbrest grips for a right-hander, and I wanted slim profile grips so a lefty could shoot it.

I wonder if the current production Llama .380 is the same pistol as well - they sure do seem similar, but I haven't seen a Llama and Star side-by-side to judge.

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC

I'll bet the Llama and the Star won't have interchangable grips. I happen to have a Llama .380 that's about 10 years old, and that Star S 1941. I'll drag them out and see if there's any chance the grips fit...

Thanks again, John. I suspect you are correct in the non-interchangability of grips. From looking at the Llamas at gun shows, I think the grips are a bit shorter than those on the Star.

That Llama in stainless is a handsome little devil, though. Ken Waters has published some hot loads for locked-breech .380s such as the Llama and Star. They make nice little hideout heaters.

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC

Note only the older Llama .380's are locked breech designs, any of the recently produced .380s are blowback designs. As predicted, the grips are not compatible, color me surprised. :)

Thanks for the look-up, John. Not surprised about those grips.

Curious that Llama would make their current production as a
blow-back action. The locked-breech Star is the most accurate
of all my small pistols, and it sure can handle the hotter loads
from Fiocchi. Oh, well, no understanding gun manufacturers
some times.

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC

Here is a scanned image of my Star SI in caliber .32ACP made in, I believe, 1933. As I am a southpaw and needed new grips I made my own. I found the gun in a store in original box never fired, payed $70 for it. Now it has fired about 150 rounds and groups really nice. about 3", up to 25 feet. At longer distances it is hard to keep groups tighter than 15". I have also given it a trigger job as the original trigger pull was awful. Really like the gun...

star_si_scan.jpg

:cool:

Gee, Whizz, those are some nice-looking grips.

Unfortunately wood-working is not among my skills so I guess I'll stay on trail for a pair of grips from somewhere. One of these days I'll be cruising the web and someone will have a set for sale - I looked for a pair of grips for a Walther Model 4 for more than a year, and found a pair at a gunshow for a mere $20 (originals, with the CW logo too!).

One of the things that makes gun collecting fun!

Best regards,

Back