small revolver..any ideas what it might be??

doc raven

i have come across a small revolver in 22 long and am trying to find out where it was made and roughly when.
its a pocket pistol type of gunand has a trigger similar to a derringer with no trigger guard, is finished in either chrome or nickel...not sure which, has a 3 " barrel and takes 8 rounds in the cylinder. the grips are a bakerlite material and of a birdshead style similar to early colts. The only info on the pistol is on the top strap which says "ranger 22 long" and a heap of numbers. Anyone have any ideas???...check the pic if possible
Doc:confused:

Last edited:
as above but with the pic (hopefully)

small revolver..any ideas what it might be??
i have come across a small revolver in 22 long and am trying to find out where it was made and roughly when.
its a pocket pistol type of gunand has a trigger similar to a derringer with no trigger guard, is finished in either chrome or nickel...not sure which, has a 3 " barrel and takes 8 rounds in the cylinder. the grips are a bakerlite material and of a birdshead style similar to early colts. The only info on the pistol is on the top strap which says "ranger 22 long" and a heap of numbers. Anyone have any ideas???...check the pic if possible
Doc

Attachments

• pistols.jpg
    pistols.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 169
Generically its one of a class of guns known as a suicide special.

Could have been made from the 1880s to the first world war by any of a dozen or more manufacturers, several of whom used the name "Ranger."

Looks an awful lot like the cheap 22's sold at one time by Sear's Roebuck, I think they were called defenders or some such term. Basically it was a generic, cheap 22, designed to appeal to those who wanted cheap protection. By the way, I'm sure you know this allready, but modern high velocity .22 shorts will probably blow the gun up, if it is very tight and in otherwise excellent condition, you might be able to fire it with CB caps which were designed to be shot in old vintage guns, all the same, I wouldn't recommend it.

thanks for the info...didnt realise that modern 22 shorts would /could be detrimental to it....appreciate the warning

Back