• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Small problem here

Que?

Outlook, as in Microsoft Outlook?

I've got an easy solution for you.

Delete Outlook from your computer, and get a permanent free e-mail address from Yahoo, Hotmail, or one of the other big hosting sites.

I'm forced to use Outlook at work, and I hate it.

The FIRST thing I did when I got my new computer here at the house was to uninstall Outlook.

You guys really need to dump outlook...
But not replace it with Yahoo - YUCK!
Use Eudora instead.
Seriously. Eudora rocks and Since I started using it - nothing less is good enough. http://www.eudora.com - you can download it for FREE.
I've been using it for over 2 years now and I just love it.
Do you listen to Kim Komando? She has the biggest computer radio talk show in the US and she uses Eudora too.
And a little secret... I think Rich is using it now too!

I'll check out Eudora, but it's going to take MASSIVE improvements to get me to switch from Yahoo.

I've been using Yahoo for well over 3 years now, everyone knows that e-mail address for me, and I've got Yahoo's front page configured the way I like it, finally. :)

One added benefit of getting rid of outlook. The majority of the big and destructive computer viruses that are hitting the bricks right now are done in virtual basic script, the same programming language that is used as the basis for most Microsoft applications.

In the case of Outlook, it makes the program VERY suceptible to infection if you open an attachment that has a virus, and virtually guarantees that the virus is going to mail itself to everyone in your address book.

Yuk. Thanks, but no thanks.

Norton Internet Security is bundled with Norton Antivirus and work very well with Eudora... Attachments are scanned as they download and if there is a virus - its taken care of. After several attacks... I've suffered ZERO problems.

Eudora is much better than every free web based email I have ever seen. Takes only a few minutes to set up and customize. Once its set up... It just plain rocks.

I'll second the Eudora Vote

However, anything is an improvement over Outlook!
Yahoo may not be the best out there, but you could do far worse.
Rich

I used Eudora when I used Mosaic as a browser and then quit using it when I went to Netscape and the mail utility was built in. With the recent acquisition of Netscape by AOL, the browser from 4.7 up seem to have "This program has performed an illegal operation will now shut down" (paraphrased) problems. I must have reloaded five times:(. And the mail utility loads an advert and prepackaged headlines before it dowloads your mail! Yech! I started using Outlook Express for email. Eudora is the best stand-alone email app on the market. I've been thinking about going back to it.

My MASTER plan to use Linux got derailed when I went to cable modem. (Note to self: get back on that!)

Outlook. Ptooee!

Outlook is what came with The browser from Roadrunner. I never did like the fact that it is supposed to be a virus magnet. Now that AOL and Time Warner are in bed together Roadrunner is even less appealing to me. I will look into Eudora and wait for DSL service to reach my neck of the woods. Thanks for the input.

George,

Only problem is that some of the newest viruses have been slipping through Norton because the programmers have found holes in the virus pattern files and have been writing script that takes advantage of those holes.

The AnnaKournikova and NakedWife virii are two good examples.

NakedWife didn't do anything to my company's e-mail, but a couple of people here in my office who should have known better opened the AnnaK picture and everyone paid the price.

Yahoo uses the same scanning parameters for attachments in e-mail messages. The ONLY ones I download without scans are the encrypted files that I swap between the office and home.

Hank,

I've got 5 e-mail accounts from Roadrunner that I will never use because they are Outlook based.

[Edited by Mike Irwin on 03-19-2001 at 08:45 PM]

Back