Small Game hunting in VA area

Duxman

Does anyone know where I can go small game hunting (Squirrel, Coyote, non-bird animal) in the Virginia area?

I live in Northern VA. About 30 minutes from the Shenandoah Valley, but would just about travel in most parts of the state. Are there websites for this territory?

The George Washington National Forest is just down I66. Take I-66 to I-81S and pick up Rt 55 (exit 296) towards Wardensville, Wv. Drive 17 miles and turn left onto the unmarked gravel road (at the top of a hill, just past a white house on the left side). If you hit the WV border, turn around, drive 1 mile and turn right onto the unmarked gravel road. This area is called Vances Cove. From Manassas, it takes me right at 1.5 hours to get to our usual campsite (just over 5 miles down the unmarked gravel road).

It's wrapped up in squirrel. There are coyotes up there as well. I've heard them, but not seen them (others have). Bobcats have also been sighted.

In addition to squirrel, there are plenty of grouse, deer, turkey, and black bear. I haven't seen many rabbits. Every year, my hunting group (between 5 and 8 folks hunting) take anywhere from 2-6 deer out of there. Other "camps" have similar success.

Here's a map of the National Forest in Va: http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/gwj/flash_file/forestry.swf

Here's the Va game and inland fisheries listing of places to hunt in Va: http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/where_to_hunt/index.html

There are several WMAs near NoVa, but I haven't hunted any yet. I spend most of my hunting time in the GWNF and Jefferson National Forest down around Roanoke.

Chris

Thanks. That is great info. Question - Is this a federal land or Virignia land? I was reading on packing.org that on Federal land, the CCW is not applicable on Federal parks and stuff. But on Virginia parks, we can carry our weapons concealed.

Is open carry allowed in Federal land (with regards to backup guns etc.)? I read some regulations where as you drive to the site, you must case and unload all guns.

The national forests are federal land. However, since they're not Federal PARKS, you can CCW there as long as you follow the rules of the state you're in. You can not open carry outside of hunting season.

I treat my backup gun as my CCW. I wear it there, wear it around camp, and wear it while hunting.

Chris

I believe that's still a 30k-acre Game Refuge, but I haven't been there in ages even though my mother is from Waynesboro and my folks are retired in Stuarts Draft. I have fond memories of swimming and fishing in Sherando Lake in the '50s, but we did most of our hunting in Albemarle County.

John

Back