slugs throuh smooth barrel?

Just be sure you're using rifled slugs, including the domed "Foster" style or some Brenneke brand slugs. These are nose heavy and that's what keeps them stable in flight.

Technically you can shoot sabot slugs out of a smooth barrel, but sabots are designed to spin like a rifle bullet and will not be stable without a rifled barrel.

There are slugs, such as Lightfield Hybreds, that perform best in rifled barrels, but an attached plastic wad drags behind the slug (like a badminton birdie) and keeps them stable out of smoothbores as well.

As ligonierbill noted, IC is generally recommended for rifled slugs, but other chokes can work. The rifling on rifled slugs compresses as the slug goes down the barrel, and it will simply compress a little more or less depending on which choke you pick.

Rifled choke tubes offer some rifling at the end of the barrel. They are advertised to stabilize some of the slower sabots (I've heard people mention Winchester BRI) or improve performance with Hybreds or similar ammo. Many people don't think rifled tubes really make a difference and would rather go with a fully rifled barrel or just stick with regular chokes.

Last edited:
You don't want to use one of the extra full turkey tubes, and will probably get poor results with a full choke. Most of the time best accuracy is achieved with IC or cylinder choke, but you never know. Some guys report better accuracy with modified and I've read of some using full choke well. Just have to experiment.

I don't shoot a lot of slugs, but with a smooth bore rifle sighted barrel have managed to keep 3 shots around 4" at 100 yards, around 2" at 50 yards. If using just a bead accuracy won't be nearly as good, but I figure I could hit a deer sized target at 100 if I had to.

I've had a lot of success using federal rifled slugs in my chiappa lever action 28" smooth bore barrel with removablechokes with the tightest choke it comes with, my gunsmith assures me this is ok, and I've fired 100 or so through hunting wiljd boars with great knock down only shot out to 60m though and at that range with bead sight aiming 10" over target I wouldn't go much more

Depending on the gun you should look at the manufactures recommendation if possible.

I think the Mossberg 500 accuchoke system said improved modified.

The "rifling" on rofled slugs are not ther for accuracy. They permit the slugs to be fired on different chokes safely !

Standard factory choke on a smooth bore "slug" barrel is none. Cylinder bore.

Standard advice (for generations) is that slugs work best from a cylinder bore. Now, we are talking the traditional Foster type "rifled: slugs and smooth bores here, not more modern designs or rifled barrels.

True that slugs are NOT spun by their "rifling" and stay on target because they are point heavy, like a dart.

The "rifling" on the slug is not for spin, it is there to allow the slug to compress and pass through ANY choke without serious deformation or damage to the gun. SO, you can shoot slugs through any choke, but you usually get the best results (accuracy) from the most open bore. Usually.

Considering smooth bore and only a bead for a sight, "accuracy" from a regular shotgun is not impressive, but minute of deer at 40-60yards is something most will do.

Rifled bores, with rifle style sights give the dedicated slug gun advantages, which translates to more easily usable range, generally.

With Foster style slugs... My Bennelli M1 shoots the tightest groups with the Modified tube in it.

Thats perfect cause it has good buckshot pattens with that tube as well

44 AMP,

What's your definition of a smoothbore slug barrel?
I'm not 44 AMP, but I'd assume he's referring to smoothbore barrels or smoothbore guns that come with rifle sights rather than a bead.

.. smoothbore barrels or smoothbore guns that come with rifle sights rather than a bead.
I am 44AMP, and idek got it in one. :D

For decades before they began rifling slug barrels all the major makers sold "slug guns" or "slug barrels" for guns with changeable barrels. These were all smooth bore, cylinder choke, and had rifle sights. The usual length was 20".

Once the popularity of rifled slug barrels took hold, less and less of the traditional smoothbore slug barrels got sold.

Slug guns (rifle sighted smoothbores) have been with us a long time. Rifled slug guns are a fairly new innovation (within the last 40 years, perhaps a bit less).

Other than on the used rack, you don't see many smoothbore slug barrels these days. Another gun you don't see often these days is the "goose gun". Budget grade bolt actions with 30, 32, and even 36" barrels. Smoothbore, 12ga.

Another gun you don't see often these days is the "goose gun". Budget grade bolt actions with 30, 32, and even 36" barrels. Smoothbore, 12ga.

At least there is a reasonable use for a smoothbore slug barrel. :D

44 AMP,

OK. I understand what you're saying. Just wanted some folks to understand that they could get a smoothbore barrel with a choke.

44 AMP said:
Slug guns (rifle sighted smoothbores) have been with us a long time. Rifled slug guns are a fairly new innovation (within the last 40 years, perhaps a bit less).

Yes indeed, and those rifled barrel guns didn't get "popular" (or even legal) in some places until the last 10 years or less. Maybe still aren't in some places, I don't know for sure.

Even now, they only maintain a foot-hold because rifles are illegal for deer in some places. That's why I put "popular" in quotes. They very quickly become UNpopular when rifles are allowed.

Yes, the entire southern half of NY was slugs only until quite recently. The county where my dad's camp is only allowed rifles 2 years ago. Some counties I hunt are still slug only. Or handgun, which is typical anti-hunting/gun genius. I can hunt with my 15" Encore Pro Hunter in 7-08 but not with a 7-08 (or any other) rifle.:rolleyes:

Back