Slugging .22 Rimfire Bores

SGW Gunsmith

I do have a bore scope that I use to inspect .22 rimfire chambers, the leade, and then the barrel, for any issues that may be starting and could turn into a problem. The best method I've found to gauge the internal bore measurements, and then to find any tight, or loose spots, is to push a .22 slug through the bore. OK, how do I get the slugs to do that? I pull 'em from live rounds.
Now, and I know there's always one of two who are going to nearly faint at the prospect of pulling bullets from a rimfire case. Well, I do that, and without deforming the bullet and I haven't had even one round out of 300, or so, go off during the process. Here's the puller I made using some ½-inch PVC unions, end caps and a three-way section for the handle and end caps. The handle is a 5/8-inch wood dowel.

The end cap with the cartridge in it has had a #1 hole drilled into its center to capture the cartridge. A section of painters tape is put over the back face of the cartridge to keep it in place. Several whacks of the other end on a hard surface will create enough inertia to have the bullet come free and into the other end cap. There is a soft landing for the bullet created by using a gel rubber cupboard door bumper.

If anyone is interested, I can post pictures involving the "bill of materials".

Why not just use a cast .223" bullet? Mind you, every good smithy makes his own tools.
Some will pass out from hearing about pulling any bullet. Had to make some .50 BMG prop ammo, long ago. No pullers of any kind for that. Used a hack saw on the necks. Turned out the stuff was loaded with cordite. Which we promptly started to play with. Didn't burn very fast. Looked like whole wheat spaghetti.

If you can find .223 caliber cast bullets soft enough to drive through a barrel..........go for it. I know for sure that those I pull are meant to go through a .22 rimfire bore. As far as I know .223 rifle bullets are cast from some pretty hard stuff to prevent bore leading.

Bill Calfee has always slugged with pulled bullets, so I think that's a good idea. Casting .223's of pure lead would be a lot more work than just pulling a few.

NAA sells .22 bullets for their .22 percussion black powder mini. Since it is magnum and bullets are soft lead I think you would be able to get a good results using these to slug a bore.

Well I got a chance to put together myu bullet puller albeit a little different.
Regardless it works great. about a half dozen smacks on my vise block and it comes loose.

I slugged the barrel on the ole savage 887 I am resurecting as an ugly duckling experience gun. [Do we have an ugliest gun award?] I am going to find some information on how to read both the procedure and the grooves and lands once run through.

THanks again for the tool! I hope to pay it forward someday.

Back