Slug Issues

I own an Ithaca single shot 20ga. with rifle sights and a smooth bore. I have been shooting Super X in 2 3/4 at about 50 yards to see if it will work for state land this year. My issue is that my slugs are shooting about a foot high. Left to right is perfect so worst case scenario I aim a foot low at 50 yards. I adjusted my ladder on the rear sight so that it is on the highest notch in an attempt to drop my pattern, but low and behold it shoots the same. I was wondering if different brands might shoot lower or if my best bet is to just get a scope and adjust it accordingly. I know different slugs shoot better in different guns, but is there anyway it would drop 12 inches with a different brand? Any suggestions are appreciated.

I adjusted my ladder on the rear sight so that it is on the highest notch in an attempt to drop my pattern, but low and behold it shoots the same.

If you are shooting high, you want to lower your rear site.

Sorry I can't solve the issue. I can only say that at your distance I've seen a typical pattern of some loads being several inches in any variable direction. A little high or low or left or right, but not adding up to a foot. Maybe just try to buy a small box of everything you can find and test for elevation. Get as much as you can for that short distance. Brenneke, Lightfields, Remington, Federal, and Winchester at least. 50 yards to me just cries out for Brenneke heavy short field magnums. If rifle sights, pay close attention to how much front bead or sight you are aligning with the rear. In error, I did fail to reply that if you want to lower your hits, the rear sight needs to be lower, not raised. I saw the previous post then realized I neglected to give you the best advice ( as given in the post ahead of mine ).

Like shortwave said, you move the rear sight in the same direction you want the bullet to go. If you want the bullet to go down, you move the rear sight down.

Are you all sure about the ladder adjustment? The higher I go on the ladder the more I look down at the front sight, which I thought would drop my shot. Again its my first time messing with the rear sight adjustment at all so im more then likely wrong, just made sense to me. Also I checked the target and its only 5-7 inches high not the forementioned 12.

Last edited:
You move rear site to where you want the bullet to go,,

^^^ This!

On adjusting a rear sight and POI of projectile:

Raising rear site ='s higher POI

Lowering rear site ='s lower POI

Moving rear site left ='s more left POI

Moving rear site right ='s more right POI.

Back